Benzonatate capsules

Jane CM

My PCP prescribed benzonatate capsules for my nagging, spasmodic cough. Has anyone taken these and are they harmless? The insert described serious side effects of this drug. Has anyone had experience with it? Thank you!

I’ve had more than my fair share of the pearls.  For me I didn’t find them all that effective. The side effects sound scary however it’s a fairly harmless prescription.  Check with your oncologist too.  

I have first had these when I had a nasty acute bronchtis about 6 weeks after my l obectomy. Ugh! (ugh is for the bronchitis, not the med). I found them to be helpful and didn't experience any side effects. The pharmacist told me that I should take it  with a full glass of water and not to lie down for half an hour after taking it, because they can be very irriating to the  esophagus if they disolve there rather than in the stomach.

Thanks, Bridget. This is enormously helpful as my pharmacist did not mention the glass of water and I already have esophagitis from the radiation, that seems to be getting better. How did you know it was bronchitis? Do you know if a persistent cough following a lobectomy is typical and how long it generally lasts?

I don't think the bronchitis was caused by my lobectomy, and I don't know whethr a persistent cough following a lobectomy is typical. I my case I got a cold and it got worse and  settled in my chest and I had coughing fits both productive and unproductive. I had trouble sleeping, felt bad, worried about pneumonia. I went to the doctor who diagnosed bronchitis. 

Archived