Veracyte Percepta genomic Classifier??

Pattymac

I have a question for anyone who knows if when having a bronchoscopy with biopsy,  do they always do the Percepta test too? This is all new to me and I just received an invoice that showed a charge of $9,000 when I had my bronchoscopy a few months ago for this test done by Veracyte Co., but wondering what the results were??? The Percepta test is a swabbing of the windpipe as they are doing the broncoscopy and it supposedly can tell you how likely it is or will be that you will get lung cancer?? I hope this makes sense, just wondering if anyone else has had this??

Thanks for any input!,

Pattymac

Pattymack,

I’ve not had one but that is because it is a relatively new genetic test. It is supposed to help decide the path forward (surgery or not) when biopsies are inconclusive. 

So I can’t answer your question. Anyone in the community have experience with Percepta?

Stay the course. 

Tom

Thanks Tom for your reply, I hope all turned out well with your scan! It is a very new test, I just wish the doctors would explain it much better, not sure my result, but I am only assuming if it were above the 65 number which would suggest probable cancer is brewing that they would inform me!! UGH! Crazy!!

Hi Curt: My interventional Pulmonologist said she was testing for this along with the bronchoscopy, it’s a “swabbing” of the windpipe as they have found that it would show genomic changes due to smoking and such! This is all I know, wish I knew more, I will question that at my next appt. and post it! It is a very new test being done, very expensive for sure, but hopefully it will try to avoid so many invasive surgeries on benign nodules. It’s time they find more information about early lung cancers, I pray this will be one of them.

I finally called the Interventional Pulmonologist office yesterday to find out the results of the $9,000 Percepta Test, the receptionist looked in my file and said the genomic test reported that I was low risk for developing lung cancer! Sounds really promising, but I do realize that my next CT scan in December could show growth of my nodule! I would surely like to celebrate good news at some point in this....is it or isn’t it lung cancer journey! I pray that in my lifetime they cure this dreaded cancer!!!

Archived