Radiation plan to start 10/21

Isabelle49

Plans are to start radiation on 10/21. I have one node under the right clavicle, a node near the tracheoesophageal area, a large one below the carina (where the right and left bronchus split off) and the mass located in the middle lobe. The Varian Trilogy will be used. Radiation onc. feels pneumonitis will almost certainly occur and may well have esophagitis. I have read that the side effects of radiation can be more extensive or have more effects when given concurrently with chemotherapy and that given together does not have much effect on outcome.  If this is the case I would rather complete chemo then go on too radiation therapy. Trivial as it sounds, my greatest worry is that I am in as good shape possible for my granddaughter’s wedding November 9, 2019. I told the radiation oncologist and he said I should have no problem if Radiation started 10/21. I have read that esophagitis often starts to be a problem about 3 weeks after radiation starts and this puts me a point very close to the wedding. If I were imminently dying from this condition I would agree to anything, but I am not. I’m dead set on this wedding as it will most likely be the only granddaughter whose wedding I will attend in my lifetime. Your thoughts? Blessings to all

Isabelle,

My thoughts. Lung cancer is also a disease of life and your rationale is a prime example. Delay to experience life events would be my choice also. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

Isabelle49

Wishing you the very best with your radiation treatments and of course best wishes to your granddaughter on her up coming marriage! 

Welcome to the new "normal" living life with lung cancer. I pray that your have a successful journey and stay as healthy as you possibly can! Most importantly eat right, get plastic fork spoons and some baking soda with salt and water for rinsing mouth before you have a bite to eat. A very soft toothbrush, and oraline toothpaste, or burtsbee. Only suggestions that were helpful to me. While being radiated think only of healing, My best to you.

Kate7617

Isabelle,

I was at a LUNGevity Lunch and Learn in Atlanta and a radiation oncologist told us his way of managing esophagitis. His patients take a tablespoon of high quality olive oil 3 times a day and his patients don’t develop esophagitis symptoms. 

I normally shy away from food-based remedies but asked several other oncologists attending and they confirm the results. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

Thanks Tom, I’m sure Olive oil can’t hurt. I have read that there is a drug called Ethyol that is an injectable and can be given prior to each treatment to decrease the risk/severity of esophagitis.  I need to talk to Radiation/onc about it. Blessings.

Archived