Another newbie ... Still a bit in shock

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello’s @MarieE   I’m sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis.  I know how he feels.  I was confronted with doing a wedge resection without actually knowing if the nodule I had was cancer.  During

Just a quick update ... Just a couple of days away and my husband seems to be doing great. I'm the one who's having the nightmares and problems sleeping. I think he's better at denial than I am. 😉 Hav

Marie So glad to hear that the surgery went well. Yes that pesky chest tube is uncomfortable, but as your husband says, manageable.  Based on my experience he has a good chance of going home in a

I hope your husband feels better and recoups from the respiratory virus.  You can always ask to change up some of the chemo drugs.  I had a successful lobectomy and wedge resection and then started chemo about 4 weeks after surgery.  While I think the lung healing has stalled a bit (the surgeon said it would). I did read through the drugs the doctor recommended.  Instead of Cisplatin (his first recommendation) I went with Carboplatin as it has less side effects and is not as wicked as the Cisplatin.  Yes, I have had some fatigue but overall I had no problem with the Carboplatin.  Also had Taxol ..only side effects hair loss and now some neuropathy in my feet and hands. Because of the neuropathy  my last 2 cycles we are changing the Taxol to Gemzar and hopefully there will be bad side effects. 

The moral of the story is that You have the option to look at different chemo drugs and ask questions.  Don't focus on the worst of the side effects unless there is an underlying condition that worries you.  Look at the overall and common and go with what you may be most comfortable with.

You can always change up the chemo drugs or say stop treatment. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2019 at 4:43 PM, Amcc said:

I hope your husband feels better and recoups from the respiratory virus.  You can always ask to change up some of the chemo drugs.  I had a successful lobectomy and wedge resection and then started chemo about 4 weeks after surgery.  While I think the lung healing has stalled a bit (the surgeon said it would). I did read through the drugs the doctor recommended.  Instead of Cisplatin (his first recommendation) I went with Carboplatin as it has less side effects and is not as wicked as the Cisplatin.  Yes, I have had some fatigue but overall I had no problem with the Carboplatin.  Also had Taxol ..only side effects hair loss and now some neuropathy in my feet and hands. Because of the neuropathy  my last 2 cycles we are changing the Taxol to Gemzar and hopefully there will be bad side effects. 

The moral of the story is that You have the option to look at different chemo drugs and ask questions.  Don't focus on the worst of the side effects unless there is an underlying condition that worries you.  Look at the overall and common and go with what you may be most comfortable with.

You can always change up the chemo drugs or say stop treatment. 

Thanks for the feedback. We took it easy over the holidays and he has some residual coughing and wheezing (most likely still from the RSV) but is feeling much better. He had his 3 month scan a bit early since he's had some discomfort from pleural effusion. They'll be doing a follow up guided ultrasound and drain it if necessary. But the good news is that everything else looks fine. There is a 7mm nodule on the middle lobe of the right side, but that is stable and has been there since day one. He has another scan scheduled for April and we'll probably revisit the chemo issue at some point and consider carboplatin vs. cisplatin.