Loosing battle small cell

Michele

Hi my husband immunatherapy stopped working so they put him on chemo pill everyday .he had 3 cycles and then it wiped him out with dangerously low white count; phemonia and septis. He was in hospital for 10 days now home with home care which they really suggested hospice or Pallative care. They shocked me with 1 month 3 months if he is lucky 6 months. I'm officially a caregiver now and its not for sissy's. I'm so tired even though I sleep when he does which is a lot. I'm so scared if he doesn't go back on chemo his small cell will take over but chemo will destroy him too. His 2 and half years of being a warrior is not working anymore. Thanks for listening

Hi @Michele.  I’m really sorry to hear your husband is struggling.  I’ve been on both sides of this disease, the caregiver and the patient.  Both are equally difficult in their own ways.  Caregiving is definitely not for sissies!   I hope that things improve for him.  Hang in there.  

Sorry  to hear that about your husband, It touches me so much because  I Just found this post, can't believe i'm on a cancer conversation site! Just a month ago I would never have thought our lives would be turned upside down. My husband of 36 yrs was just diagnosed with small cell lung cancer this week. We don't know if it has spread he has a PET scan in the morning. He has never really been sick in his life, only 2 months ago he started with some hoarseness, and a cough, now a large mass in his left upper lobe. Yes he smokes! and has for 40 years, this type of cancer is usually from smoking cigarettes I'am told.I wish he would have listened to me and the kids years ago and stopped. So now we embark on this journey together, I will never stop trying to help him with whatever he needs to get through this. I know the statistics for this type of cancer are not good, but we are firm believers in the good Lord above and the ways in which he can change everything. So we pray and hope, and next week we go for chemo. we are in this together, just like we have been for 36 yrs. Don't lose hope and pray alot, eat to keep up your strength, stay active if possible.  

Bendy I'm sorry to hear about your husband.I sure hope he caught it in limited stage ( early ).they have advanced treatments for small cell now! My husbands was caught in limited stage and the doctors tell him all the time he is a lucky man because he had been battling for 2 and half years.2 times in remission he was still in remission but this last cycle of chemo wore him out. Stay positive have him drink a lot of water with his treatments and eat even when not hungry! No sugar cancer loves sugar! Prayers for both of you keep us in formed.

Thank you so much for finding the time to respond to my post when you are going through so much yourself and your husband. Thanks for the tips, my husband is a sweets lover so that will be a hard thing to stop, and I have tried to get him to drink more water as well. We go tomorrow morning for port a cath placement, then chemo 3 days in a row. I hope his pet scan comes back with good news. Thanks again I will update with any news.

Bendy good luck this week; we found that eating before infusions really helped with not feeling sick afterwards .it really helps.many prayers; husband is now a warrior ! 

Thank you Kristen for thinking about us! Nothing new over here; vitals are good and he is eating.we see oncologist tomorrow.he will probably tell him no more chemo then it will be a new chapter from there the way small cell acts.I will keep in touch.thanks again

Just wanted to check back in Michele. The PET scan came back with good news, it's limited stage small cell, no spread. Started chemo on the 23rd and will go for a radiation Ct mapping on the 6th of Nov. So far he has only nausea and abd pain. He will do 4 sessions of chemo with radiation sometime soon. Hoping that he does well with that.  

Bendy I'm so glad to hear his cancer is in limited stage.chances for remission or Ned is so much greater. We found that if he eats before he gets his treatment less chance for nausea plus the nausea pills. Oh I will pray for him! Keep us informed.  

Archived