New

Tlr

Hi I am new and maybe premature to post. I am scheduled for lung surgery at Johns Hopkins on 01/07 and am frankly scared. My brother died of lung cancer; I am a 12 year survivor of Endometrial Cancer, Stage IIIC  & 2 lung nodules were discovered by chance 2 years ago. I have been having CT scans and suddenly things have changed. So here I go... PET/ CT in a few days and surgery no matter what . So I am just scared and wanted to reach out. Thanks.. Trish

Hi Trish.  I’m sorry to hear about your pending surgery.  I had an upper right lobe lobectomy ten months ago.  I’ve made a complete recovery except for some minor numbness and some tightness on my side when I cough.  Breathing is back to it was pretty-surgery.   You are clearly already a survival.  Surgery won’t be nearly as bad as you are imaging.   It wasn’t for me.  Any specific questions just ask.  I’m happy to share.  

Hi Trish and welcome. I'm also a survivor of a stage 3 endometrial cancer. My lung nodule was found in a CT that I had for surveillance for the prior cancer. I had a lower right lobectomy 3 years ago and I'm doing well. Will your surgery be by VATS (video assisted, laparoscopic)? Mine was and it was fairly easy, as surgeries go, nothing like the radical hyslerectomy ,including  ovaries, omentum, 27 lymph nodes and a bunch of other stuff, that I had for the gyn cancer.

Let us know what questions you have and how we can support you. That's what we're here for.

Trish,

Curt and I had our surgeries only a couple of months apart and he is right that the recovery is not as bad as he or I thought it would be.  Follow the nurses orders, take all the pain meds (and Colace to stay regular) they give you, use the darned spirometer and start to move, walk and become active soon as possible.  Stay positive and stay away from Dr. Google...the stats do not reflect what is happening today in the field of medicine for LC.  You'll do better than you think...remember to ask questions of your doctors, nurses and here on the forum, we'll be glad to help you out.

Lou

Archived