Coughing fit.

Robert  A.

My wife's coughing ( which is how we found her lung mass) was occasional and was mostly controlled with Benzonatate, but yesterday she had a coughing fit. We saw the Pulmonologist a few days ago but everything was under control, the Pulmonologist prescribed Anoro while we were there but there was a mix up and when we went to the pharmacy to pick up the wrong prescription had been called in which they fixed yesterday afternoon. I have yet to pick it up so I don't know it this will help. What worked for her was Vicks and a warm pack to hug and to use her CPAP with humidity, I run a humidifier because of the dryness at this time of year. Your tips are welcome, Thanks Robert.

Hi Robert-

I had really terrible coughing fits too. It’s important to protect the rib cage so have your wife hug a small pillow when they come on. 

The pearls didn’t work for me & I blew through all of the OTC meds.  The only medicine that worked for me was an opiate based cough syrup administered every six hours religiously, especially the 2am dose.

I stopped talking & got a note pad to avoid any unnecessary speech, particularly in the afternoon.  I used a wedge pillow to keep my head elevated when resting.  Lots of hot tea (no coffee since that can be dehydrating) with Manuka honey (the highest number you can find). 

For some reason the Jakeman’s honey based cough drops gave me the most relief after a cough fit ceased. 

Try to see if your wife can do some belly breathing exercises (YouTube) to push open the lungs in the morning and evening. 

Since there’s no predictability to these fits it’s important to let them happen & not try to force them to stop.  

Bottom line is don’t settle, if something isn’t working, keep the doctor informed.  Different things work for different people. 

Once treatment gets started the coughing will start to settle down.  
Michelle

5 minutes ago, Rower Michelle said:

Hi Robert-

I had really terrible coughing fits too. It’s important to protect the rib cage so have your wife hug a small pillow when they come on. 

The pearls didn’t work for me & I blew through all of the OTC meds.  The only medicine that worked for me was an opiate based cough syrup administered every six hours religiously, especially the 2am dose.

I stopped talking & got a note pad to avoid any unnecessary speech, particularly in the afternoon.  I used a wedge pillow to keep my head elevated when resting.  Lots of hot tea (no coffee since that can be dehydrating) with Manuka honey (the highest number you can find). 

For some reason the Jakeman’s honey based cough drops gave me the most relief after a cough fit ceased. 

Try to see if your wife can do some belly breathing exercises (YouTube) to push open the lungs in the morning and evening. 

Since there’s no predictability to these fits it’s important to let them happen & not try to force them to stop.  

Bottom line is don’t settle, if something isn’t working, keep the doctor informed.  Different things work for different people. 

Once treatment gets started the coughing will start to settle down.  
Michelle

Thanks Michelle, I felt so powerless to do anything.

I understand Robert. My husband felt the same way. He dutifully & diligently administered all of the cough syrup at all hours of the day & night. 
If your wife needs the opiate based syrup be sure ask about how to taper the dose rather than abruptly stopping.  It took about three weeks for my taper.  
Hang in there. This part isn’t easy but relief is coming soon. 

I just have to jump in here. My cough has only worsened since starting treatment!  It’s a side effect of my immunotherapy. Pearls didn’t help and made me itch.  

Nothing I can do about it. Can’t take hot showers cuz my rash comes out.  I just felt like unloading.  I feel better now!

1 hour ago, Tom Galli said:

Lin wilki,

Have you tried albuterol using a nebulizer?

Stay the course.

Tom

She was given Albuterol but no effect, the Benzonatate was working well until the coughing fit of Thursday. The winds kick  up Thursday so I think that may have been part of the problem. Friday was much better and today was the same as Friday. We went ahead and contacted the Pulmonologist Friday because the weekend was coming and we weren't going to be able to get in touch with anyone until Monday which is when Chemo starts. The Dr. also gave us a prescription samples of Anoro which she tried today but I thinks it's too early to see any results.

Archived