Newly Empowered!

RondaBeaty

Hello.   I am a 54 year old mother of 2 grown daughters, 27 and 24.  I was diagnosed 1-11-2-17, Stage IV NSCLC with metastasis to adrenal glands, lymph nodes and brain. I have had 3 successful Gamma Knife treatments for brain.  Currently a tine (3mm) lesion in my brain that was targeted via Gamma Knife this past May. I will get a new scan in January, and expect it to be gone as all previous lesions (I had over 20 of them treated first Gamma Knife).

I started with carboplatin and did not respond, so we went to Opdivo and radiation. That kept things at bay or a while, but am now on Ketruda with palliative radiation when needed.  Making a long story short, my adrenal glands were clear on last CT (1st week of November).  Everything else has shrunk or not grown.  In the past few weeks, all of a sudden, I have begun to feel like my pre-cancer self!  I think the Keytruda is doing something positive!

I am grateful to be alive!  I live EVERY day as if it is possibly my last.  Cancer woke me up and taught me the importance of appreciating life and making the best of every minute.  I've completed two buckets lists!  I am now confident enough to start on a third.

Last week, I learned about this support network, The Lung Cancer Living Room, the BELONG app, The Lung Cancer Registry - just to name a few.  Wow.  It changed my outlook in an instant.  I can't describe how comforting is was to find this and the people in it.  I'm sure you understand the feeling I'm talking about.  It is difficult to put in words.  I can't wait to see my doctor this Tuesday.  I can't wait to receive the materials I've ordered to get help to others.  I've been battling for three years now, and didn't know this was available.  I want to help others get here quickly!  Awareness...

Since signing up and looking around, I've learned there is a lot I don't know!  I'm happy to find all of this information!  One thing is for certain.  Since finding all of this, I feel as though I am newly empowered. I have new hope. I have new will to live. I have a purpose!

Thank you all for being here.  I look forward to meeting you!

Ronda

Hi Ronda and welcome! I'm glad you found us. I wish it had been sooner.  I've found these forums to be and invaluable support and I hope you will too. Keep posting!

Bridget O

RondaBeaty,

Welcome to the forum and sorry you have to be here.  There is a great group of people here and I know, personally, that they helped me get through my diagnosis, surgery and recovery.  There are also a lot of great survival stories.  I'm sure you'll be hearing from some of them soon.  You seem to have a great attitude and that is going to be a great help on your way to recovering from this disease.  For my part I'll keep you in my prayers.

Lou

Welcome Ronda!  Yes this site is a god send.  It sure has been for me.  I'm a 62-year-old grandmother of 3.  In April of 2019 I was diagnosed with stage 4 NSCLC with brain mets.  I had my brain tumor removed in April and so far all MRIs have been clean!  I started Keytruda the end of May 2019.  My August scan showed lung tumor reduction but my early November scan showed lung tumor growth; so carboplatin and Alimta have also been added to my regimen.  Very glad to have you aboard!  You will gain invaluable knowledge from the members.  I don't know what I would have done without this support system!!  You take care now.  Susan Rae

Hi Ronda, 

Just want to pop in and say welcome here.  I was diagnosed Stage IV NSCLC ALK Positive 14 months ago at the age of 51.  I stumbled into this group about a month after my diagnosis.  I'm really glad you're here, empowered patients live longer and keep our doctors on their toes.  I'm an avid watcher of the Lung Cancer Living Room too.  This summer I had the opportunity to meet Amy Moore (Go2) and Katie Brown (Lungevity).   Everyone here is so helpful, we laugh, cry and pray together.   

You've got what Tom our moderator calls, "the battle rattle" going for you.  Hang onto that grit.  Let us know how things are going for you.  It's nice to meet you! 

Michelle 

Ronda-

Your post is a breath of sunshine! I am so happy that you are getting back to your old self after this long journey!  Keep up the great work!

Take Care,

Steff

• 2 months later...

Hi Ronda. Your cancer sound a lot like mine. I was diagnosed July 2019 Nsclc  Stage IV. Lung, lymph nodes, adrenal gland and 4 brain mets. I had cyberknife.  They keep showing up on MRI's, but he tells me no growth and it sometimes takes our bodies awhile to get rid of them. ????  I have another tomorrow. 🥺  I had 4 rounds chemo, now on keytruda. Your story really inspired me. So similar to me and you are doing well for 3 years. I pray for that long. How was your jan scan?

On 2/6/2020 at 11:47 AM, Lisa Loves Marty said:

Hi Ronda. Your cancer sound a lot like mine. I was diagnosed July 2019 Nsclc  Stage IV. Lung, lymph nodes, adrenal gland and 4 brain mets. I had cyberknife.  They keep showing up on MRI's, but he tells me no growth and it sometimes takes our bodies awhile to get rid of them. ????  I have another tomorrow. 🥺  I had 4 rounds chemo, now on keytruda. Your story really inspired me. So similar to me and you are doing well for 3 years. I pray for that long. How was your jan scan?

@ Hi Lisa.  I'm happy to hear my story inspired you. The more hope we find, the easier it is to navigate. I've had the gamma knife a few times, and why my doctor says still shows is scar tissue.  Could be what your is seeing? You are quite new to the world of lung cancer having been diagnosed this past July.  If you every want to talk, feel free to find me here.  Are you planning to attend the Lungevity conference in April?  It will my first, and I'm looking forward to meeting many, many fellow survivors! Welcome - however, I wish it wasn't because of lung cancer, but I am glad you are here!

Hi Lin. I am doing better.  I was in the hospital all week, got to come home yesterday.  Today, so far, the pain medication is working!  You know it's bad when the pain pills don't help much.  Grateful they are finally helping.  I got 2 rounds of radiation while in the hospital.  I get 3 more rounds this coming week.

I am so happy you were able to try the gin-gins.  While they are not a cure all, they definitely help!

Thank you for checking in.  Have a great weekend!

Sorry you were in the hospital.  Good to hear you are doing better!  Lucky for you that you can get radiation to get things back in control!  
Hang in there!

Archived