Complications post lobectomy Long hospital stays

Lisaadvocating4dad

My best bud and daddy had a lobectomy that removed most of his right lung in Hamilton Ontario Canada which is 1hr from where he lives with my mom and 1,5 hr from where I live in Pickering.  His surgery went well but he developed pneumonia and a bronch fistula...it’s been a month and he remains in ICU with a tracheotomy...he is still struggling and remains highly sedated..:.i need stories of hope!!!! He is an emotional person and is loosing his will to fight....I’m lucky to have a great friend who is allowing my mom and I to stay at her house but the long days and being away from my husband and son is exhausting and mother has health issues as well... not driving.... we need hope and stories of success.... doctor had been amazing and all the medical staff but we are very worried

Hello Lisa.  I am sorry to hear about your dads struggles.  I had an upper right Lobe Lobectomy at the end of February.  I’ve made a full recovery and have not required any additional treatment. Recovery can be difficult and your dad songs to be having some complications making it more difficult.  I hope he starts to improve.    

Hi Lisa,

I too, am a caregiver.  I understand your struggles needing to care for your parents and having a family of your own to care for too.  Caregiving is not for the faint of heart and is exhausting.  There is no magic wand to make it easier and no advice anyone can give that will take away our burden.  We just get up every day and do the best we can with what we are given.  Please know that there are others who completely understand what you are going through.  From the sounds of it, your dad is a fighter, although exhausted from fighting.  My mom was in ICU for 2 weeks due to severe pneumonia.  She was basically full of infection and really struggled, including being intubated for 24 hours.  But she pulled through.  It was a tough go, but she came out the other side.  Your dad has the support of you and your mom, along with medical staff.  He can pull through too.  You are looking for stories of hope, I came here too looking for hope - everyone on this site is an example of HOPE and a success story.  Your dad is alive, so there is HOPE.  

Take Care,

Steff

Archived