Inoperable Lung Tumor

Guest Vallerie

Guest Vallerie

Hi,

I'm new here. My mom is a heavy smoker and had lung cancer in 2010. She was treated at Memorial Sloane Kettering in NYC. They were able to remove a portion of her lung and she required no chemo or radiation and it's 2019 and she is doing well. Very unfortunately she cannot quit smoking. Another relative has lung cancer (also a heavy smoker) but his tumor is inoperable. They are giving him chemo and radiation. Does anyone know if lung cancer can be managed that way. Also, is it possible to shrink the tumor and THEN operate later? Would appreciate input - many thanks. 

Welcome, Vallerie!  I'm sorry about your mom and your family member's diagnosisies.  There are different treatments for lung cancer depending on the stage and the type.  Here is Lung Cancer 101 that has a ton of information on everything lung cancer: https://lungevity.org/for-patients-caregivers/lung-cancer-101

Do you happen to know the stage and/or type of cancer your family member has?

Guest Vallerie
1 hour ago, LUNGevityKristin said:

Welcome, Vallerie!  I'm sorry about your mom and your family member's diagnosisies.  There are different treatments for lung cancer depending on the stage and the type.  Here is Lung Cancer 101 that has a ton of information on everything lung cancer: https://lungevity.org/for-patients-caregivers/lung-cancer-101

Do you happen to know the stage and/or type of cancer your family member has?

Many thanks for getting back to me. I don't know the stage - the tumor is rather large but it is situated so that they can't operate. I don't believe the cancer has spread so it may be early stage - at least not III or IV.

They are putting him on chemo and radiation but I don't know if that means they are trying to shrink it so they CAN remove it, or if that's their only option. My question is can you manage lung cancer with chemo and radiation or is there any possibility of making the tumor disappear that way? Many thanks.

Guest Vallerie
Just now, Vallerie said:

Many thanks for getting back to me. I don't know the stage - the tumor is rather large but it is situated so that they can't operate. I don't believe the cancer has spread so it may be early stage - at least not III or IV.

It is small-cell cancer.

They are putting him on chemo and radiation but I don't know if that means they are trying to shrink it so they CAN remove it, or if that's their only option. My question is can you manage lung cancer with chemo and radiation or is there any possibility of making the tumor disappear that way? Many thanks.

Also

Just now, Vallerie said:

Vallerie,

To answer your questions, yes. Lung cancer can be successfully treated with chemo and radiation.  While the hope would be to be able to remove the mass completely, not all masses/tumors/nodules/etc can be removed due do size, location, and overall health of the patient.  Small-cell lung cancer is a bit of a different beast than non-small cell (I am assuming that is what your mom had??).  First and foremost, your uncle will be staged with limited or advanced stage (not stages 1, 2, 3, 4).  This staging helps docs decide the best treatment option going forward.  Since his docs have already settled on a treatment plan, he has likely been staged already.  Often times treatment is more aggressive with SCLC because the beast itself is more aggressive.  

If you haven't had the chance to check out LUNGevity's Lung Cancer 101 webpage, as Kristin suggested, I suggest you do.  It has very helpful and accurate info.

Hope this helped a bit,

Take Care,

Steff

Ohh,, and kudos for your mom for being lung cancer free for 9 years!  Fantastic news!

• 2 months later...

Valerie,

You've already gotten some good information so if you have other questions please ask...someone here can always provide a response from experience.

Lou

Archived