Gone for a while, now I am back

Lisa66

Hi all, I have been away for awhile. I joined a couple of years ago when my dad was diagnosed with non small cell squamos carcinoma. He is still fighting by the way, but during this time my mother had her own battle with lung cancer and because of end stage COPD it was not a treatable situation so she was in hospice for 10 months!!!  Doctors gave her the lower end of 3 to 6 and she was a sick lady going in, but the angels at hospice perked her up and she actually had some very good times before she passed in July. Now I have been given the same diagnosis as my parents, can you believe that. All in the space of 2 years. I have to go get another biopsy Monday because first biopsy shows squamos and traces of sclc. Has anyone had that show up? Anyways I am back for me this time. Hope you all are doing well in your treatments

Thought and prayers for all

Lisa

Hi @Lisa66   I’m sorry to hear about your mom and your recent diagnosis.  I’m glad dad’s still battling.  My father had lung cancer.  So did Three of his sisters.  I was diagnosed last year.  All with NSCLC Adenocarcinoma. The genetic testing I had did not indicate any familial genetic abnormalities, which shocked me.  I do have an EGFR exon 19 Del.  Mine was caught very early by accident, I had surgery and haven’t had any follow up treatment since.

Welcome back...but sorry you are.  

Curt, I am glad they caught yours early, prayers for clean scans.

Thanks Kristin. I have, but at least I have a little knowledge to start this fight. Fighting for Mom and Dad has allowed me to become familiar with a lot of the terminology I would have otherwise never had.

Hi Lisa,

It’s nice to meet you, I joined this Forum last year after my surprise diagnosis.  I’m very sorry you’re having to go through all of this.  I can relate to your story too.  Last week my Mother told me she has a PET scheduled to evaluate growing nodules in her lungs.  She had previously been treated for a gynecological cancer.  Now evaluation for lung cancer???  Crazy. I’m glad your Dad is fighting! My Mom sounds pretty prepared for whatever lies ahead.  

I suppose the hardest transition will be from caregiver to patient, learning how to put yourself  first in order to hunker down as your treatment plan kicks into high gear.  You know there’s a giant prayer posse here @LouT is excellent at “pestering God”.  

Let us know how the biopsy goes, big hugs.  

Michelle

Thank you Michelle, first let me say that I am sorry to hear about your mother and you. You are so right about being the caregiver. I have been my dads driver to chemo house cleaner grocery store delivery and for 9 month, unfortunately a bedside companion as my mother faded from this life. It will take some getting used to. I’m not that good at letting people do for me and I have watched my dad battle and know what is coming up for me and will have to get used to needing help. Having said that, I am going to get battle ready because I do know. I would also like to be part of that prayer posse. Thanks for telling me about it. Prayer to you both.

Lisa

• 1 month later...

Lisa,

Lord...you've certainly had your cup full, haven't you?  I too had Squamos cell lung cancer, but mine was determined to be NSCLC.  Please keep us abreast of your progress as your move through the diagnostic and into the treatment phase.  My prayer go out to you and your family (especially your mom).

Archived