Intro

Schoolie2

Hi I’m Amy aka schoolie2,

I was diagnosed with stage 1B when a radiologist say a mass in my lower right lobe in November. I was having a Ct of my a abdomen to rule out an appendicitis. I had no symptoms so it was kind of a miracle. Fast forward. I had a lobectomy a month ago and my nodes came back clear. The oncologist recommended chemo to insure there is no recurrence. So I start chemo on 1/31. I am getting my mindset and my warrior attitude to face chemo. Looking forward to support and supporting those in the same boat.

Hi Amy,

Welcome.  I was also diagnosed with 1B (upper left lobe), and it was found accidentally when my PCP ordered a chest X-ray for back pain I was experiencing on my right side.  I had a lobectomy in March of last year.  I didn't have chemo and so far so good on post surgery scans.  Glad you have the warrior attitude...it will serve you well!  Wishing you all the best with chemo...we're here for you.

Deb

Hello, Amy. Same thing happened to me, though they wound up taking out my gallbladder, appendix and 1/3 of my colon. They spotted a 3cm lesion in my upper right lobe on the CT of my torso. I'm still deciding between surgery or radiation. I have until Monday to decide. 

How was the recovery from surgery for you?

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

My tumor was at the 4 cm mark and ended up being attached to the lining so it is a good thing I had the surgery. It was fine. I felt lousy the first 2 weeks and the air in my body post surgery was painful until it worked it’s way out. I’m four weeks out and feeling like myself again. I do tire easily and sometimes still need to catch my breath. Good luck with your decision.

Amy

Amy,

Sorry about your diagnosis but I'm glad you found us. Were you able to have the VATS surgery or did you have to go traditional surgery? Any idea what your chemo drugs will be? I highly recommend this site for information on chemo drugs and side effects. It was very helpful to me.

Do you know if your tumor was tested for markers/genetic mutations? 

Please keep us posted and let us know how we can support you.

Welcome Amy,

Here is something you might find interesting. I like the mindset prep and taking time to adjust your warrior battle rattle. This is a good place for questions. Unfortunately, we are very experienced lung cancer survivors. 

Stay the course.

Tom

Hello @Schoolie2   I had an upper right lobe lobectomy last February.   I was 1A and they didn’t recommend any follow up chemo.  Part of me wanted to do it just to blast any residual cancer cells.   My surgeon was against it and I took his advice.  Chemo is no walk in the park but from what I understand the adjuvant chemo after surgery is not as aggressive as if it were the primary treatment.   

Amy, 

Like some others here I too had a lobectomy (diagnosis stage 1a) and no chemo after.  It looks like your doctor is backing up his "belt with suspenders" as they say.  Please ask any questions you may have and keep us updated on your progress.

Archived