Hello. I'm Cherilyn, wife of sclc survivor.

Cherilynn

My husband was diagnosed with sclc stage 4 in September.  He started the 6th of 6 rounds of chemo today and will finish on Wednesday.  PET scan scheduled next week.  In the beginning I was hopeful and held on to a positive attitude, but since Christmas I live in a state of fear that we will find out his cancer is not under control and there will be nothing further that can be done. I am so scared of losing him. The idea of having to live the rest of my life without him is overwhelming and abhorrent. But I am tired of crying and want to enjoy whatever time we have, to laugh, and to continue making memories. So, I've come here for help and support.

Hello @Cherilynn   I’m sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis.  It’s normal to have a roller coaster or emotions.  It’s also incredibly healthy to “laugh and continue to make memories”.  You’ve found a group who are, or have, gone through the same thing as your husband.  There are also those going through what you are.  I went through it with my dad and now I am the patient.   Both are hard in their own ways.  Hang in there.   

Cherilynn,

Welcome here.

I spent many years living near St. Clair Shores, MI while stationed at the US Army Tank Automotive Command in Warren. The St. Clair River and lake are indeed special, even in the winter despite the low temperatures. I'm also a lung cancer survivor who struggled with fear and uncertainty during my diagnosis and treatment times, and even beyond. My lesson learned from those times is I got so wrapped up in what was going to happen to me in the future (death) that I wasted opportunities for joy and fulfillment in my days lived.

Civil Engineers make poor Philosophers and Theologians. I can't explain the essence of what you are feeling except to say that I've felt it. You've highlighted the answer I found: enjoying whatever time I have left. Perhaps this helps explain. 

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi.  I also have a husband diagnosed with sclc in late Oct.  I started a thread here too.  

I'm literally living moment to moment.  We have CT scans on the 30th and the fear is there, but honestly worrying about what they're going to say doesn't do anything for me right now.  I'd rather not feel that fear until I hear it and see it in black and white.   Meanwhile, we are doing our best to hang onto what normalcy we have left.  Hubby just started cycle 4 today.

Bless you, this is a very scary cancer.  What chemo meds did your husband have?  Everything I've read and heard is that 1st line treatment usually works to tame this beast.  Looks like we're both about to find out.    

I was the one diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer a year ago. It took me a long time to realize just how much is has affected my husband. It is just as emotional for him, if not more, than it is for me. We both try to remain positive while we are on this journey. A support system is a must and Lungevity is a good one.  Hang in there!

Hi Cherylinm

I also have a husband who has stage four lung cancer....so i am also not sure how i am going to survive if something happens to him...just trying to stay positive for him, for kids and my parents.

Cherilyn,

Stay strong madam...treatments have come so far and that are more alternative treatments available than at any other time.  Try to enjoy your time together and don't worry before you have to.  I look forward to your next update.

Lou

Hi Cherilyn,

If you find you would like additional support, LUNGevity also has peer-to-peer mentoring and the HELPLine.  For the LifeLine program, you would be matched with another caregiver who has a loved one with a similar type and stage of lung cancer.  The HELPLine will connect you with a oncology social worker who can help with emotional stress.  Both programs are at no cost.  If you have any questions, please let me know.

You and your husband are in my thoughts!

Thank you all for your wisdom and support.

We  got the PET scan results today.  He's not in remission, but treatment very, very significantly shrunk the cancer.  It looks to be completely gone from his liver and bones.  His left lung is no longer impinged.  He will continue with Tecentriq (immunotherapy) 1x every 3 weeks.  Diane, he was also on the chemotherapy drugs Carboplatin and Etoposide.

I am relieved that he responded to chemo so well. Now, we continue to live our lives, one day at a time, finding the best we can in every day.

1 hour ago, Cherilynn said:

Thank you all for your wisdom and support.

We  got the PET scan results today.  He's not in remission, but treatment very, very significantly shrunk the cancer.  It looks to be completely gone from his liver and bones.  His left lung is no longer impinged.  He will continue with Tecentriq (immunotherapy) 1x every 3 weeks.  Diane, he was also on the chemotherapy drugs Carboplatin and Etoposide.

I am relieved that he responded to chemo so well. Now, we continue to live our lives, one day at a time, finding the best we can in every day.

Oh Cerilynn, great news.  

My husband just had CT scans  (after 4 cycles) yesterday, not PET.  I'm thinking, like your husband, after 6 full treatments then perhaps they will order a PET?  We'll see.  I'll update my thread when we get his CT results.

ENJOY!!!  The good days while you have them!😎

Diane,

Good news for sure.  The improvements sound significant and now you can exhale, live every day and let the chemo continue to do its job.  Please keep us updated with any new test results.  I'm looking forward to hearing more good news from you in the future.

Lou

Archived