Chemo after Vat Lobectomy

TJM

I have been reading a lot of older posts (better than watching endless impeachment coverage) and it looks to me like post surgery chemo seems to be more normal now. My going in position was surgery was da cure and no need for toxic chemicals ( spent most of my career around them so why more?)

Question for those who had surgery with early detection.....Chemo or no Chemo?

Want to ask now, before surgery, when my head is clear. Surgeon said we would meet with an on oncologist soon after it is done.

Thanks in advance to all. Keep up the great work. So helpful 

Peace

Tom

Tom,

I was scheduled for post surgical chemo but didn't receive it because of surgical complications. Then after almost a year's worth of addressing the complications, I had the first of 4 recurrences. Post surgical chemo is purposed to reduce the probability of recurrences and lung cancer is notorious for recurrence. Here, you may enjoy this blog on recurrences.

The meeting with the medical oncologist is key and essential. Because of the high recurrence probability, you'll have a monitoring program consisting of CT and perhaps PET scans at regular intervals. These are performed on order by your medical oncologist. Moreover, after surgery, a pathologist will identify the type of lung cancer you have you should ask the surgeon to have the sample subjected to further laboratory tests to determine if there are bio markers for suitability for targeted therapy and or immunotherapy treatment. It is a good idea to learn this information because if a recurrence happens, the medical oncologist can attack it with the most effective chemicals. 

I'd also recommend you get acquainted with a radiation oncologist. If there is a recurrence and if the tumor cooperates in terms of suitable location, then a radiation oncologist can use very effective stereotactic body radiation therapy  (SBRT) to fry the beast. After three chemotherapy failures to address my recurrences, SBRT finally produced lasting results.

I do hope your surgery is one and done but suggest you prepare in advance for the long game.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks. My thinking is slowly changing and I am leaning toward Chemo. Appreciate your input.

Republicans turn....I'll watch for a bit.

Peace

Tom

I think the recommendation for chemo or no chemo depends in great part on the stage of the cancer (but probably other things too,like type). Usually with Stage 1A no chemo is recommended. For 1b, it's a tossup and for Stage 2, chemo is typically recommended.

Be sure you get biomarker testing (tumor genetics) as well as the standard biopsy. it will help determine what kind of further treatment may be most helpful You probably already knew that. My Kaiser surgeon automatically sent my samples for biomarker testing, despite the tumor being only 1a and no further treatment being needed. 

Bridget.  May I ask where you were treated and your Drs name? If for no other reason the curiosity.

Thanks

and Peace

Tom

Small. World. Same place and same surgeon. Sounds like you were happy with your treatment?

Very much appreciate your replying.

Peace

Treatment was fine. I didn't have the kind of close personal interaction with my doctors that some describe, but I have no complaints. Maybe they'll discharge you the day after surgery like they did with me. I actually instisted on staying in a couple of hours longer since I was having some pain and I wanted to be able to have another dose of Toradol, a very effective and strong NSAID given by IV.

Best wishes for a quick recovery.

I was stage 1A and did not have chemo after surgery.  My doctors said it would only decrease the likelihood of remission slightly.  There is only a 10-15% chance it will come back for me.  I still wanted to do it.  Any reduction, even a small one, of the likelihood of recurrence seemed like a good idea to me.  I felt like I was able to handle it.  The doctors felt the side affects of the follow up treatment would be far too detrimental for the small decrease in the likelihood of a recurrence.  I went with their recommendation.  

Thanks Curt. I'm pretty sure that my stage will be 11b and I will push for the follow on Chemo. If I read the staging criteria correctly it's at stage just by size alone.

Will listen to what they reccomend. Appreciate your support and will post throughout the process. I posting helps me and hopefully can help someone else in the future.

Off for last blood draw soon, then a haircut.

Peace

Archived