Huband has advanced small cell lung cancer

purrnut

Hi, my husband is on his 4th and final chemo (this time with Keytruda) treatment for small cell lung cancer.  I think he would be a great candidate for a clinical trial, but I cannot navigate the maze of clinical trials to figure out which one may help him.  He is not sick or frail, and is still active and working a full-time job.  We've just run out of treatment options when Keytruda stops working (if it works at all).

I don't have any information on clinical trials, but I did try to qualify for one when I was diagnosed that took your cancer cells and made a vaccine that would be administered after my initial 4 chemo treatments. There was something in my cells that disqualified me from the study..I have been on maintenance of Keytruda and Atlimta since April 2019 and it has been keeping my cancer pretty much at bay so far. My lung cancer had metastasized to some lymph nodes and 3 bone areas before I was even aware I had it. My last PET scan showed a slight increase in the lung tumor and I just completed SBRT radiation on that tumor last week. We won't know how well those treatments worked for at least 3 months.  In the meantime, I will remain on maintenance until there is any change on my scans. 

Hi! LUNGevity has a free clinical trial finder that you can learn more about here: https://lungevity.org/for-patients-caregivers/lung-cancer-101/treatment-options/clinical-trials

We also can match you with a Clinical Trial Navigator who is someone that has been through the clinical trial process themselves. https://app.emergingmed.com/lcctal/home

If you need any additional information, please let me know!

3 hours ago, purrnut said:

Hi, my husband is on his 4th and final chemo (this time with Keytruda) treatment for small cell lung cancer.  I think he would be a great candidate for a clinical trial, but I cannot navigate the maze of clinical trials to figure out which one may help him.  He is not sick or frail, and is still active and working a full-time job.  We've just run out of treatment options when Keytruda stops working (if it works at all).

Not sure what you mean by final chemo?  This is his 2nd or 3rd line treatment?  May I ask what treatment(s) he had before?  If so, how long between progression?

Why wouldn't you ask his oncologist to do a more refined search for you?  If not, if there is a certain site you are looking at I do believe you can call or write and they would be able to assist you in matching him up with one he would qualify for.   It does look like a daunting task for an ordinary citizen with no medical back round.

The GO2FOUNDATION also has a personalized clinical trial researcher, Dr Cieupk.  They are based in California.  Dr C can also help guide through the maze of the clinical trial world.  There are just too many of them for oncologists to keep track of (which in a way is good news). 
Michelle

Hi Purrnut,

You've already got some good advice and information to look up from others, but I wanted to welcome you and I hope that the Keytruda does work for your husband and, if not, the information Kristin provided may offer some help.  Good luck and please keep us posted.

Lou

Archived