I should have listened......

TJM

Think it was the other Tom who advised me to take a laxative before surgery and immediately after surgery. Instead I didnt get anything at the Hospital till after eating two meals.  Bottom line...I'm plugged up.

Called the advice Nurse because I started bloating in my stomach (as in outside around and above navel) and wanted to make sure that wasn't a possible symptom of something else.

So tried Senna full dose first (that's when stomach started to bloat) then 6 hours later went with Miralax. Then tried a gasx.  Just now took milk of magnesia (5hrs later). And got a big bottle of prune juice.

So my question to the board. Have I missed something? Any idea on how long I must wait to expect a "reaction" and what kinda "reaction" should I expect. Can't remember last time I was constipated.

Other than that a good day. 50% improvement in breathing tube and double my "target" and have been walking all day and up and down stairs. Been sore because I wanted to get the old bowels working so haven't taken a pain pill since 6AM...till now. Figure can't get much worse and would be nice to be pain free.

Thanks all

Tom

Tom,

With all those laxatives on board, the next 24 hours is going to be challenging indeed. I'd advise not straying too far from the throne.....

I think each of us reacts differently to laxatives and you've take three types so you are in the unknown unknown zone as far a movement is concerned. When I start narcotic medication, I also take one Duralax, and I get results within 24 hours. Each day I need to continue narcotic medication, I take one Duralax. But I never take more than one Duralax per day or I am plagued by the inverse of constipation. Hang in there.

Stay the course.

Tom 

That's what I was afraid of. Patience is one of my strengths. Bathroom less than a jop, skip and a jump....none of which I can do yet.

As long as it comes out OK in the end I'll be happy.

Tom

Uh oh. Too many laxatives, you might want to call the nurse pronto. Not to cause alarm and despondency but you might want to ask about taking a potassium supplement.  
My Dad had an accidental overdose of laxatives which triggered a near fatal electrical cardiac event.  Laxatives deplete potassium levels. Who knew?  Hang in there.  

Constipation is a cruel side effect of the narcotic pain meds.  I transitioned to just taking them at night and then not at all as soon as I could.  I would alternate Tylenol and Motrin and take a narcotic at night if needed.   One strange side affect of the Tylenol is I would sweat a TON at night.  I’d have to change the sheets every morning.   

You are already doing what you can to speed things up.   Walk, hydrate and eat high fiber foods.  This too will pass.   Pun intended.    

Has passed! Not as dramatically as one might have thought. I dont think I had enough to be totally packed up and none of the laxatives I took were super strong.

Feeling the pain on my right side from all the activity yesterday. Going to take it a bit slower today.

Peace

Tom

Tom,

Glad that it passed.  I once became impacted from opioids and almost needed manual intervention but it in my case it was very dramatic and I thought I would surely die.  Thankfully, I was wrong but Tom G's advice is pretty good.  Now, whenever I have to take meds for pain I supplement with Colace.  Never had a problem again.  Anyway, glad that its over for you.

Lou

Archived