Stress and Cancer

SeasideM

Did you know that psyche is involved in cancer process? I am biologist, so have found that this issue is very important.

More and more researches prove that chronic stressful state of mind creates predisposition towards development of cancer by weakening the immune response and other anti-cancer defence systems.

For example, in a study carried out in the University of Manchester in the UK, 1,596 women were psychologically examined before the mammogram. Those who experienced psychotraumatic stress (death of a loved one, loss of significant relationships, physical trauma, health problems with close relatives, and/or marital problems) some time before the examination had a significantly higher risk of developing breast cancer.

Researchers from the University of Marburg (Germany), who examined a group of women with a tumor in the mammary gland before the biopsy, came to the same conclusion. Women whose tumor turned out to be malignant had experienced much greater stress due to the loss of a loved one than women with benign tumors. Swedish scientists (University of Goteborg), for twenty-four years observed 1,462 women aged 38 to 60. The analysis showed that those who experienced stress for five years at the beginning of the observation period were twice as likely to develop breast cancer as women without stress. In Israel, 6,284 parents whose children died in 1970–1977 due to war or accident were observed for twenty years. A significant increase in the incidence of cancer of the lymphatic system, blood, respiratory system, and skin (melanoma) was found.

These data urge every cancer patient to see the psycho-oncologist or psychotherapist to work on those psychic traumas and conflicts that can contribute to development of chronic stress. If you want to learn more about these issues, read these books: "Cancer as a Turning Point" by Lawrence LeShan, "Love, Medicine and Miracles" by Dr. Bernie Siegel and  "Carcinogenic Mind. The Psychosomatic Mechanisms of Cancer" by Dr. Vladislav Matrenitsky. They greatly helped me to understand the reasons of my illness and brought to the psychotherapy.

• 3 years later...

I am new here. I have 3rd stage lung cancer. I've been given a ☠️ sentence. Doing chemotherapy and immunity therapy first treatment was Feb 17 , my life partner ( if you can call him that) is in denial and won't even talk about it. My emotional strength and mental strength are gone. He's been making himself work 7 days a week. I'm totally alone in this. I'm sorry I shouldn't be talking like this I don't want to upset anyone. I'm very sorry I will stop 

Bernadette,

You found us so you are not alone.

We completely understand your experience. Many of us have also experienced family trauma as they process a lung cancer diagnosis. My father wouldn't (couldn't) talk to me during my 3-year treatment phase.

We all receive a "death sentence" if we believe the survival statistics that embody a lung cancer diagnosis. I was diagnosed 19 years ago and given 6 months to live. My counter to the statistical bad news is if I can live, so can you!

I note you are receiving combination chemotherapy (conventional chemotherapy paired with immunotherapy). That is a very powerful and effective new treatment method and there is every reason to believe that it will successfully eliminate your cancer. Here is some information about immunotherapy that might be helpful.

We are your support system and stand ready to help you during treatment and beyond. 

Stay the course.

Tom

3 hours ago, Tom Galli said:

Bernadette,

You found us so you are not alone.

We completely understand your experience. Many of us have also experienced family trauma as they process a lung cancer diagnosis. My father wouldn't (couldn't) talk to me during my 3-year treatment phase.

We all receive a "death sentence" if we believe the survival statistics that embody a lung cancer diagnosis. I was diagnosed 19 years ago and given 6 months to live. My counter to the statistical bad news is if I can live, so can you!

I note you are receiving combination chemotherapy (conventional chemotherapy paired with immunotherapy). That is a very powerful and effective new treatment method and there is every reason to believe that it will successfully eliminate your cancer. Here is some information about immunotherapy that might be helpful.

We are your support system and stand ready to help you during treatment and beyond. 

Stay the course.

Tom

I don't know how to get to the site without using this email do they have a app. I read what you sent me. The problem is I have a genetic gene that causes all kinds of cancers and my 5 sisters died from either 2 or 3 cancers they got battling one. So I know my chances of remission are very low. But I do need to have people who are or have gone through cancer, to help me with the isolation. In my mind all I see is the ☠️ sentence I've been given and I can't seem to get passed that plus my anger is at a  very high point of no control. I'm sorry for ranting no one wants to hear me ranting and raving. I'm very sorry 

Bernadette, 

Welcome to our LUNGevity community! 

With your treatment recently initiated, I hope you're feeling okay and managing any pesky side effects that may arise.  I'd like to connect with you offline to get acquainted and share resources I believe you will find helpful. Check your email and feel free to reply there or call me at 312-639-4529. 

No one has to walk this lung cancer path alone, we are indeed here for you.

kmr

Bernadette,

Kristi is a Registered Nurse staff member who works in patient support for our LUNGevity Foundation. She has an amazing amount of experience with patient support and sustainment for those in treatment with our disease. Please reach out to her and let her help.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Bernadette and welcome here. As Tom said, we can support you--that's what we're here for.   I can understand the need to rant. We've all had it from time to time. A lung cancer diagnosis is difficult for anyone, but I hear that it's especially difficult for you because of your famiily history and your partner not being supportive.Go ahead and post rants here. But also get hold of Kristi to see what kinds of support and resources she can offer.

Hang in there, Bernadette, and stay in touch here.

BridgetO

• 11 months later...
On 2/25/2023 at 1:32 PM, Bernadette said:

I don't know how to get to the site without using this email

This right there is exactly the same problem everyone who tries to find this site has. There are ZERO easy ways to find this site. Even after I registered I had to go into history to ensure it was even the same domain.

I can't imagine the too many in the average demographic of a lung cancer patient not giving up  quickly.