Question regarding pain from a VAT

TJM

For those who have had surgery I have a question regarding pain. All of my pain is gone except for one spot just under mr pectoral muscle (couple inches below nipple) on my Sirgery side. That pain is not improving at all. It feels like a "stitch" I sometimes got when winded playing basket ball. It is a very sharp pain that radiates to my back.

I am guessing that it is related to the drain tube but not sure. All I know is my attempt to not take oxy today was a failure. I took 1000 mg of Ibuprofen which just dulled it.

Anyways, my wife got me a refill and I took a pill about an hour ago. Had been planning on taking a long walk today but was to uncomfortable. Feeling much better now so may still do it.

Have any of you experienced something similar? Going to effect the speed of my recovery if I can't get under control.

Peace

Tom

I still have nerve discomfort from surgery.  I describe it as discomfort not pain.  I also have numbness on the incision side.   It’s unfortunately common with this surgery.  My surgeon said it should go away but could take a while.  It could also always be an issue.  I’m almost a year out.  

Thanks Curt.

FWIW,...right below where my pain is it feels tight and is totally numb. I think that is going to last awhile.

The pain I'm feeling is a 7 on the pain scale then fades after I stop doing whatever I was doing to star it. Far worse in the morning when I first get up. Hoping it improves....I can handle discomfort, I can handle this pain, but it is getting in the way of walking. No pain any where else. Incisions healing well and only itch a bit.

Keep up the good fight Curt. I was 100% sure that I would follow in you footsteps, but looks like it isn't going to happen.

Peace

Tom

You are only a little over a week out.  You are already doing a lot more than I did.  I didn’t leave the house until week 2 and that was a short trip for a haircut.   It does get better but it takes time.  Keep getting rest.  Your body is healing outside AND inside.  It takes time.  Hang in there.  

Come to think of it when I cough, which I just did, I still get pulling in the same exact spot you are having pain.  I’ve gotten use to it being the new normal but I remember it being painful in that area in the beginning.  Now it just feels like pulling on my muscle there.  I’ve been trying to do some stretches and exercises to strengthen that area.  It hasn’t helped yet.  

TJM,

My doc proscribed lidocaine patches that I still used to dull my chronic pain along my incision scars.  I normally have pain at a level of 4 out of 10 but that spikes when I have abdominal muscle cramps. My wife applies two patches over the incision scars and sometimes, that nocks pain level down.

Stay the course.

Tom

Archived