JCM

Malignant pleural effusion

Hello Fellow warriors,

Are any of you living with MPE? I am accumulating fluid and had it drained once. It is back and I am getting a second opinion.

I am receiving palliative chemotherapy along with Keytruda for stage 4 cancer. I read that prognosis for pleural effusion that’s malignant is 3-12 months. That’s a scary thought. Has anyone had a different experience?

I would appreciate any feedback....

thanks! Jane 

My husband was diagnosed Stage4a with MPE in  January 2020 ...the MPE was actually there in early December.  He underwent thoracentesis (draining) at least three times a week then an indwelling pleural catheter was installed at the end of January.  His MPE actually dried up about two weeks ago...apparently that can happen with frequent draining through a catheter.  It’s great because the MPE was causing him lots of grief.  He is not on treatment yet ..expect immunotherapy to start in a couple of weeks.  His latest CT scan and bone scan shows no mets elsewhere.  We saw the stats you reference but we don’t believe they reflect today’s treatments.

On 2/15/2020 at 2:02 PM, JCM said:

Hello Fellow warriors,

Are any of you living with MPE? I am accumulating fluid and had it drained once. It is back and I am getting a second opinion.

I am receiving palliative chemotherapy along with Keytruda for stage 4 cancer. I read that prognosis for pleural effusion that’s malignant is 3-12 months. That’s a scary thought. Has anyone had a different experience?

I would appreciate any feedback....

thanks! Jane 

My mom is currently having the same symptoms with MPE. I've been draining the catheter for nearly 4 months now. Every other day. About 500mL of fluid every time. It used to be 1000mL. Its very concerning for me. I have read the prognosis, and it's terrifying.

How is your MPE holding up, has it stopped? My mom starts a new chemo next week hoping it puts a stop to this fluid.