Malignant pleural effusion

JCM

Hello Fellow warriors,

Are any of you living with MPE? I am accumulating fluid and had it drained once. It is back and I am getting a second opinion.

I am receiving palliative chemotherapy along with Keytruda for stage 4 cancer. I read that prognosis for pleural effusion that’s malignant is 3-12 months. That’s a scary thought. Has anyone had a different experience?

I would appreciate any feedback....

thanks! Jane 

• 4 weeks later...

My husband was diagnosed Stage4a with MPE in  January 2020 ...the MPE was actually there in early December.  He underwent thoracentesis (draining) at least three times a week then an indwelling pleural catheter was installed at the end of January.  His MPE actually dried up about two weeks ago...apparently that can happen with frequent draining through a catheter.  It’s great because the MPE was causing him lots of grief.  He is not on treatment yet ..expect immunotherapy to start in a couple of weeks.  His latest CT scan and bone scan shows no mets elsewhere.  We saw the stats you reference but we don’t believe they reflect today’s treatments.

• 4 months later...
On 2/15/2020 at 2:02 PM, JCM said:

Hello Fellow warriors,

Are any of you living with MPE? I am accumulating fluid and had it drained once. It is back and I am getting a second opinion.

I am receiving palliative chemotherapy along with Keytruda for stage 4 cancer. I read that prognosis for pleural effusion that’s malignant is 3-12 months. That’s a scary thought. Has anyone had a different experience?

I would appreciate any feedback....

thanks! Jane 

My mom is currently having the same symptoms with MPE. I've been draining the catheter for nearly 4 months now. Every other day. About 500mL of fluid every time. It used to be 1000mL. Its very concerning for me. I have read the prognosis, and it's terrifying.

How is your MPE holding up, has it stopped? My mom starts a new chemo next week hoping it puts a stop to this fluid.

• 8 months later...

My wife had a VAT surgical resection for a couple growing nodules in her right lung. The surgeon took as little as he could because she has extensive COPD. Two months later she suffered MPE. They drained about 400cc during her first post-op meeting with the thoracic surgeon. We went immediately to the Keytruda triplet, four rounds. Now on Alimta / Keytruda doublet for the next two years, sez the onc. Effusion issues are gone. Pain in her side is gone. Last CT showed shrinkage of surgical site nodules. NPD anywhere. Her only side effect is being tired sometimes. She is 5% PD-1 expressive and has a further targetable KRAS mutation that may come into play if the Keytruda line falters. But so far so good with the Keytruda triplet and doublet. We are blessed for the life this therapy has given us. When she was dx’d 1/6/20, they gave her less than a year. I will bet that the CT next week will show NED. We are almost there.

Dallasdoug, welcome here! I'm glad to hear that your wife is doing so well with her treatment. Best wishes to  you both. Keep us posted.

Bridget O

I was just searching the forum for this very topic. I had a pleural catheter put in on Feb 10. They got 1 liter. Some issues with supplies etc, and we were draining it once a week. Now increased to 2x/wk. We are getting 400 or 450 ml each time. I'm wondering how long it will take to clear up....or if it will. I just had my 3rd round of carbo/alimta/Keytruda a week ago. 

I go back to the pulmonologist in 3 months. 

I admit to not being in a good place this week as a result of the fatigue from treatment (I hope). 

• 3 weeks later...

Jennedy - The way I understand the MPE issues, everyone is a little different. Sometimes when the lung doesn't displace the withdrawn fluid properly, there is another procedure that helps it reattach. You might ask about that option if this continues. From what I've read, most people's bodies gradually adjust and the effusion liquid diminishes over time.

Archived