Mom has Stage 3 SCLC

Heather32

Heather,

I'm sorry you and your Mother have to deal with this disease. But you've found the right place to get the support and info you need to do the battle.

First off, there are survivers here who've been diagnosed with just about every from and stage of lung cancer, so don't hit the panic button just yet. The road you and you're Mother are on can be a bumpy one and, at times, very confusing and frightening. But it can be, and HAS been, travelled by many before you so take heart from those who have gone before. It seems to me it's WAY too early to be talking about a life ending.

The other thing I'd like to emphisize: You and your Mother do not need to travel this raod alone. There are a TON of wonderful, caring people on this site. We are here for each other every moment of every day. "WE" do this thing together.

So take a deep breath and hang in there. And let us know how things are going.

Dean

hi Heather,

welcome to the board. Dont panic just yet like Dean said. Yes Lung cancer sucks but it doesn't mean your mom is going to die in the next few days. Far from it probably. The fact that her doctors are gearing up for treatment is a good sign that they feel they can help her.

my mom was diagonosed in February of 03, she battled hard for 6 months and unfortunately she didn't survive but its because her cancer was already stage 4, she had mets to the brain and she had a mazzive infection throughout her body. BUT in between all that time, she got better before she got worse. Chemo works for allot of people, your mom had a great chance. Your in shock right now and it will take about 2-3 weeks before your out of shock and in fighting mode.

my advice, READ, read everything you can about the disease, treatment, nutrition, chemo's, supplements, GET Educated as possible to be your moms medical advocate and ASK questions, don't just take the doctors word for anything, ask the "Why's" and "Hows" of what they want to do and when, push for scans like bone and brain. make sure they know your knowlodged about this and your moms care is your top concern.

i am back in the battle myself as 5 months after mom passed away from LC, my dad was diagonosed with it too. So were fighting all over again. Yes I was in shock and full of despair but dad is handling chemo much better than my mom did. so I have hope again.

come here often and get it all out, chances are someone here knows an answer to almost any question you can ask.

shelly

I agree with Dean and Shelley. My wife was diagnosed with stage IIIA NSCLC in January '03, and she is still battling. We haven't whipped this demon yet, but we aren't giving up for sure. She is still able to teach full time and comes close to keeping up with our three year old - closer than I can anyway. We have had many very sad days the last year or so, but many more happy ones than sad ones. Good luck, and keep posting.

Curtis

I am one of those who was diagnosed with extensive sclc and I am still around. I have a one year remission period and so far this time it is 7 months. Lots of chemo and prayers have gotten me this far. 3 years on Feb 16, that was when I was diagnosed. Hang in there, I am living life to the fullest.

Dear Heather,

I can so strongly relate to your post. My mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung cancer last summer and told she had around 6 months to live. I was crushed and mentally began planning her memorial service. My children were 9 and 10 at the time. Now, after radiation and still undergoing chemo, my mom feels much better than she has since long before she was diagnosed. It has given us precious time that I would have taken for granted if she weren't sick. Chemo is just part of her weekly routine now, much like going to the grocery store. It takes some adjustment, but there is hope! Don't give up!

Dear Heather,

I can so strongly relate to your post. My mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung cancer last summer and told she had around 6 months to live. I was crushed and mentally began planning her memorial service. My children were 9 and 10 at the time. Now, after radiation and still undergoing chemo, my mom feels much better than she has since long before she was diagnosed. It has given us precious time that I would have taken for granted if she weren't sick. Chemo is just part of her weekly routine now, much like going to the grocery store. It takes some adjustment, but there is hope! Don't give up!

Dear Heather,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Heather,

Welcome, I'm so sorry to hear your Mom has lung cancer. My Mom is in and from NH too. Where is she being treated? I know how hard it is but your Moms going to be treated and many here including my Mom have survived and continue to fight and do well. Its not easy but we can support you and help to give tips on what we have experienced. Sending prayers for you and Mom.

Laurie....

They won't operate, she only weighs, as of today, 86 poundsat 5' 3". She has emphazima in her left lung and the cancer is in the right. The lung was collapsed when she was rushed to the ER. They put in a stindt. They said that operating isn't an option. She starts her treatments on Tuesday and they will last 7 weeks, chemo will be at Parkland Medical in Derry, NH and radiation will be at Elliot in Manchester. The shock is now wearing off and I am ready to fight this all the way with her. I have given her this web address, so Mom if you read this I LOVE YOU!, this site has given me more hope than any other. Please feel free to email me at my home address if any of you want, I always enjoy chatting. Thank you all for your prayers and know that you all are in mine.

with love,

Heather