I am also a new member here

tess

Hi,

I've been reading for quite some time now. My husband has stage IV NSCLC, (left lung) with mets to his T 12 vertebre, his left hip, and now one right rib. His diagnosis was on Sept 25, 2003. He has gone thru radiation (30 doses?) and is currently going thru the third (4 total) round of Chemo. Taxotere and Paraplatin. He was almost instantly relieved from the bone mets with the radiation.(still has his hair!) The spot on his hip was so small, two doses of radiation and he quit hurting there. It was so small it didn't show up on the bone scan, but the radiologist caught it because of the pain. He finished the radiation and got pnumonia, not sure if it was from a virus he got from me or from the radiation. His rib began to hurt right after that, so we thought it was from plural effusion maybe. A few weeks ago, he got another Ct scan done. No mets anyplace new and the Dr says the pain in his rib now is from the bone healing itself. We go back to see her in about 9 days. He (Rob) is also getting zometa. What we don't understand is if the rib is healing, why is it still hurting so much?? We are going to request IMRT (Intense Modulated Radiation Therapy) on the rib to relieve the pain and hopefully kill the cancer. Rob has a hard time with the pain, he takes 30Mg of Oxycontin twice a day. He has just kind of lost interest in doing much at all these days. We have our own remodeling business, and we have a great crew working for us, so Rob doesn't have to worry about working steady. We are just lucky and thankful to have great people working for us. Sometimes, I just wish I could wake up and find this was just a bad dream. We both used to smoke, but I quit last summer. Rob quit the day he found out about the cancer. He smoked two packs a day. He has done a documentary for a high school to get kids to realize the dangers of smoking. He hopes to maybe help some one to quit or never start. I just can't believe how many young people here have lung cancer and have never smoked! It makes me wonder why does this happen ? I guess only God knows the answers to that. Anyway, to sum it up this is our story in a short but brief story. Thanks for reading this, and God Bless everyone who has to endure this demon. My husband hasn't read anything here, I keep him informed, but for some reason he doesn't want to read any posts, so I just keep telling him what I read, and remind him there are a lot of people a lot worse off than him.

Tess

My prayers are with you all. I'll be back....

Welcome Tess (one of my favorite names) to the wives club~

We are all in this together. My husband also does not want to read the board. I sometimes point things out to him, tell him about certain people. I think it's too hard for him to know what many are going through.

Take care and keep us posted on Rob.

Rochelle

Hey guys,

I am right there with you. Earl, who has made his living as a computer consultant, does not and will not get on this site or the internet in general.

I only tell him the happy or funny stories from here. He does not need to hear the sad stories, he is sad enough.

Being here is a love/hate relationship. I hate having to be here, I love the people here.

Ginny

Hi, Tess, and welcome. My wife has similar case to your husband. She was diagnosed 16 months ago, had radiation and chemo. Now on Zometa. All the tumors have been in her bones, nothing in the lungs. The main tumor was on her spine, C7-T1. She has had healing bone pains also, and is taking 30 mg MS Contin twice a day. She is able to function pretty well. I think it is important to focus the patient on some activity they like that will take their mind off the cancer. Lucie sews and reads. I encourage both activities. She is presently planning to take training next month to help others with cancer on a one-to-one basis. Keep us posted. Don

Thanks to you who wrote back. I forgot to tell you that Rob is 48 and that his CTscan showed his primary tumor in the lung was originally 5cm, but now has shrunk down to 4.2cm. He is also taking supplements called Mannatech. He is doing quite well and tolerating the Chemo great!

Tess

Hi There,

Tell your husband to hang in there. I had my left lung taken out last august and they took two pieces of rib out so they could have more room to work. It still hurts like hell. It is still healing. It is a lot better now 6 months later. I can at least lay on that side for a while. it takes some people longer thanother to heal. I am still on 1/2 oxycodone twice a day.

God Bless the caregivers.

By His Stripes You Are Healed,

I thank The Lord everyday I am still here.

Doug

Tess,

Glad to hear Rob is doing well with the Chemo. Tell him for me, if you would, that I'm a wuss when it comes to pain also. My wife just shakes her head at all my moaning and groaning when I'm in even a little bit of pain.

Here's praying for good results from his treatment! (and no more pain! :)).

Dean