Anxiety returns....

TJM

Well. I expected it. Been almost too unstressed last 3 weeks but starting to feel some now. Less than 24 hours from first round of Chemo. Nothing major right now, but will probably need a xanax double shot tonight to have any chance of sleeping.

I doubt that I am alone with dreading Chemo more than even surgery. This board has done wonders for my irrational concern because of how much better the meds for side effects are, but still. It appears to me that trying to predict how well someone will tolerate Chemo is impossible. Those who seemed most likely to fly thru it struggle, those who you would think would struggle, fly thru it. So far I haven't had any issues with my treatments (as far as tolerating them). In fact, it all has gone much better than I expected. That makes me think I am "due". But I am smart enough to not make this a self fulfilling prophesy.

Think I'm all set. Meds all filled. Have been hydrating for last three days, my blood work done and looks excellent. In fact my liver enzymes are back in range which was a pleasant surprise (They were just a tad high till last time). Only thing that has me a tad concerned is I have had a consistent low grade fever (99.2) since surgery but so far none of the Docs concerned. 

Tomorrow will be a long day but will take my computer, cell phone, headset and chargers with me. And the treatment is local. I'm ready for this next step.

Peace

Tom

We’ll all be here for you. It’s the unknown that drives the anxiety afterwards it’s been there done that, NEXT.  
Get ready to channel the ‘roid energy. Got any closets that need cleaning out?   Lock and load! 

I'm confident you will do fine. Hopefully your location is like my wife's... lots of freebies ... cokes, coffee, snacks ... okay so I was doing the most partaking ... sorry not exactly relevant. Let us know how it goes!

Steve

I don't know why I haven't noticed that Michelle is a rower ... it's right in her site name. Hey Michelle, perhaps you could give us a lesson in the benefits of rowing!

My coach was Sara Nevin (quick hands) when I rowed at the Lake Lanier Rowing Club. Best thing in the world was being out on the water.

Steve

Small world Steve! My husband is the “real”’ rower, JAX U under Brad Negaard.  When we moved to KC ten years ago he decided to take up the sport again. I had to learn to row if we were ever going to see one another.  So he dutifully tried to teach me. It’s a good thing the court house was closed that Saturday! Pretty much a disaster.  We hired a coach to teach me: Jim Dietz.   

We have three FluidDesigns: our double, “Widowmaker” my single: “Troublemaker” (Jim named it).   His single: “Peacemaker”. 

Best rowing advice: Don’t tip! (Hahaha) 

Sit ready! Go! Thanks for making me smile. I needed that! 

Michelle

Good thoughts to you!  You’ll need something to help you sleep tonight but you. Will feel fine in the days after. I usually “crash” at day 3 and have a long nap 

As long as you take your anti naseau meds  you’ll be fine

TJM   .. I hope things went well for your 1st chemo. I found out after my 1st  dose of chemo that the steriods  made me very hungry and after that I brought a large lunch. A good sleep aid for me was THC .. tincture or oil, I was surprised that I could sleep. Whole plant CBD helped my anxiety. Excellent prep you have with computer and head phones. Please keep us posted on your journey ... it will help the next person

Wow. Love this place and you guys are terrific.  Fun day going for Chemo but did not go without a hiccup.

Since I have time on my hands I've been day trading the stock market so I stay'd up last night and made a couple stock moves in the morning and was going to make a move around 11:00AM but instead I fell asleep and got a phone call from onc asking where I was. Damn...overslept. Luckily wasn't a busy day so they were able to squeeze me in.

Feeling fine when I got there and the nurse cleaned the port but had to make a bit of an adjustment to the port to get blood flowing back. As she started to push saline she noticed the IV thing was leaky and she had to replace it. Bottom line is she had to pull the original out and put a new one in its place. Dang that stings.  Will it always sting like that when they put the IV in place? Much more painful than a shot. Nurse said it will get better.

Actual treatment went well so after she released me I swung by a tavern and had a few beers with a group of friends. They were floored I would show up for a beer right after Chemo but impressed none the less. I made myself a promise that as much as I can I was going to live my life as normal as possible. Bottom line is I had a great time and scored some macho points at the same time.

So day two is done and so far no noticable side effects. Taking my meds as directed, sitting in my recliner watching a movie called The Bone Collector. Not a bad movie. One more day and will be done with this first cycle.

Interesting that a lot of what we talked about was regarding the COVID 19 out break.  Living in Washington I thinks makes it more real, but I'm guessing the first confirmed case in my little City will have a major effect on restaurants, bars, ball games etc. And its probably already here. Why I am so focused on the stock market. I expect a major recession is possible and that is not good.

Sorry for the long post. To sum up..other than me oversleeping it was a good day and I have no side effects....yet

Peace

Tom

Tom,

You were a lot more brave than I was after my first chemo. I didn't feel bad, but just knowing what was in my body scared me and I hunkered down at home. Of course, that is not the case now.

My oncologist prescribed Lidocaine/Prilocaine 2.5% and I spread the cream on my port 30 minutes before my appointment. Then I put a piece of saran wrap over that to keep it off my clothes. It does help the stick when they access your port. 

So glad to hear it went well for you.

Rose

just to add to Rose Kaiser... I also use that cream and cover it with a Transparent Dressing called Tegaderm

All. Good day today...I was on time, no miss haps, in and out in 2 hours. Gorgeous weather and no more Chemo for three weeks. Knock on wood...but so far this has been a walk in the park. I know that I can expect some side effects sometime in the next few days.

Wishing everyone good surgery, chemo, and scans. Will keep you up to date.

Only hiccup is living in the state of Washington. Governor banning all gatherings over 250 people. Playing sports events in empty stadiums and it will probably get worse. But on the positive side Oregon State men's BBball beat Utah and plays Oregon in the PAC 12 tourney tomorrow. We beat them once this year so I know they can do it.

Have my second opinion on Friday. Sticking with the Onc from OHSU....havent had much luck finding one with extensive Large Cell experience yet. Think it is worth 300 bucks to have the discussion. #5 Cancer center in the nation.

Go Beavd

Tom

Thanks for the blow by blow, @TJM. I'm on the same track as you, but my chemo is delayed for four more weeks as I  receive daily antibiotics via IV. My angst is that cancer may be running amok while I sit here waiting. Glad it's going good for you. Truly.. 

Archived