Had my lobectomy

LyndaT

I had my lower right lobectomy by robotic surgery March 12.  Prior to the surgery I did not have a biopsy as both my pulmonologist and surgeon said it looked like cancer and needed to come out.  Well, sadly, they were both right.  I do not have the pathology back yet on the tumor or on the lymph nodes.  They are pretty hopeful, based on my PET scans that it did not spread to the lymph nodes.  I will find out on Monday when I go for my post op visit.

As for the surgery and recovery, I had it on Thursday, got the chest tube out Friday morning and went home mid day on Friday.  I was out of bed Thursday night to use the bathroom, several times.  Not an easy task, but better than the alternatives.  As for the pain, it was pretty much as bad as I expected, and really still is.  I am 5 days out from surgery, feels like an elephant is sitting on my chest and every time I move he kicks me really hard.  Hoping this passes soon.  Pretty short of breath when I get up, and sometimes even just sitting (probably from talking).  I would love to be able to take a deep breath.

I am only just starting this journey with my husband who was diagnosed recently with stage IIIa nsclc. But just wanted to tell you I pray for a speedy recovery for you and that your pain lessens more and more each day!

God speed,

T

Wishing you well, Lynda. I had a right upper lobe removed Oct 2018.

I also went into surgery not knowing for sure if the nodule was cancer or not. It was, with no lymph node involvement, so I was fortunate that they felt no further treatment was needed. I hope you will get good news as well, that they caught this early (you will, in time, come to see this as good news). 

You were discharged really quickly (I had surgery on a Monday and wasn't released until Thursday).  As for the pain... It will get better. I really do believe the more you can get up and move the better. I walked a lot - more than I do now, unfortunately! Walking actually seemed to help with the pain. I did not take pain meds for long (had an allergic reaction) and in all honesty, I didn't feel like they did much good. I just stuck with Tylenol  as needed. What did help were those icy hot / lidocaine patches. They were a blessing! I wore one every day for at least a couple of weeks. 

RE: Shortness of breath... I still have shortness of breath, but there are a lot of people here who have said they feel their breathing is back to where it was before surgery... and it's amazing what some of them can do. My breathing has never really gotten back to where it was before surgery. If you start to have too much difficulty with it though, do talk to your surgeon. One week after I was discharged I felt like my breathing - taking a deep breath - was getting harder to do, and it felt like I had something stuck in my back between my shoulder blades.  I called the surgeon and they had me come in immediately. Apparently it was a pleural effusion. They drained the lung right in the office - it really wasn't bad at all. My son was in the office with me when they did it - I didn't even have to undress. Very fast and I did feel a lot better after that - but it is something you'll want to rule out if you're experiencing a lot of pain or difficulty breathing. Hopefully they gave you a spirometer to use before you left the hospital... My surgeon did not seem to think much of them, but I think it helped those first 2 - 3 weeks following surgery. 

I hope your pathology report comes back soon with reassuring news. Don't get too down... You will be able to take deeper breaths in time and you will appreciate them ever so much!

Hi Lydia,

I am still in the hospital after removing my upper right lobe and half the lower on Friday March 13. I would love to be home during this scary time, but I am having some complications. They sent you home quickly, but I believe you are safer there than in the hospital. I am very glad to find this group and hope to find the answers I need. Please stay safe and well.

Hi @LyndaT   I had an upper right lobe lobectomy just over a year ago.  Same circumstances as you.  Five days out it still hurt for me too.  It gets better.  Keep waking, doing breathing exercises and resting.   Things will improve for you.   

LyndaT,

I’m also a surgery survivor and had my entire right lung removed. I recall the “elephant” experience also.  Every day, you’ll feel a little bit better. Do try and get out of bed and walk as much as you can. Most importantly, stay away from anyone who has school age children. You don’t want to catch a chest cold or even worse Covid-19.

Stay the course,

Tom

I'm on a strict no visitors policy except for my sister, as I do need help with some things.  I really don't the common cold, and I know this virus would probably kill me in my condition right now.

It's kind of funny, I do feel a little better every day, but you can't tell people that, people that have not been through this.  When you say you feel a little better, they think, wow you are recovered already that's great, see it was easier than you expected.  No, I'm not recovered, on the feeling like crap score I went from a 9.5 to 9.4, that is a little better but I'm not exactly ready to go out dancing.  It gets a little frustrating.

Glad you are keeping visitors at bay - and that you are feeling a little bit better (emphasis on little!). I get it.

My ex-mother-in-law (thank goodness she's an ex) was not helpful at all. I did not hear from her prior to surgery - except the day before when I was heading out of town to the hospital, she sent an email asking if we'd like her to come up to help (we had not seen / heard from her in over 5 years). She insisted I would be / had to be up and running, back at work in two weeks following the surgery. Why? Because one of her co-worker's husband had a resection and was back at work and doing fine... And... because, she said, John Wayne had lung surgery and went on to make his best movies (in her opinion) following that. Seriously. I know, she thought she was being helpful, but I certainly felt the pressure (even knowing who it was coming from) that I should be "back to normal" in no time.

For some reason I did not find that comforting!  

Take your time. Everyone is different. If someone says "it was easier than you expected" they are probably trying to be cheerful and optimistic - not knowing what else to say.

Glad you have a sister who can help you out. Get your rest and just take each day one at a time. 

I took advantage of home nursing and physical therapy, @LyndaT, after my upper right lobectomy.  It has me up and moving. There are a dozen short, easy exercises I do religiously. I have a breathing app on my Apple watch that has been most helpful, And then there is the Airlife gadget, they call it a spiro something. I use it about five times a day. It has kept my lungs clear and is a great breathing exercise. I had to take baby steps, of course, but I'm in a much better place.

Check with your insurance company. Mine easily approved it. I understand that all situations are unique. I'm simply relating my experience as a 67 year old man who has been socially isolating since March 5, 2020.

Best,

Glenn

Archived