Coffee Break week of 3/23

LUNGevityKristin

Hi everyone!  Hope you guys are hanging in there.  For this week, we will keep one "coffee break" going for the whole week.  Anytime you need to talk about anything, just pop in.  Tell jokes, share memes, share a story.  Jump in anytime!

One of my friends shared a video of the Bon Jovi sing-a-long over the weekend and now it's featured in Chicago news!  Not everyone is the best singer but it looked like fun!

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/apartment-dwellers-in-rogers-park-sing-livin-on-a-prayer-during-social-distancing-2/?fbclid=IwAR2rIQDa6stU4F7NLGUm7xc_LCOaoQI_7yFTShAKd6C1ThWoyUo_vVrpy90

What is your favorite kind of pizza?  We are constantly debating this in our house because we live in the Chicago area and have so many great choices. The kids are partial to Papa John's but I love a spinach deep dish.  We are all looking forward to ordering out tonight to support our local restaurants so we might just have to order from two different places!

We have a locally owned pizza place called Abby's pizza, in my hometown of Wenatchee, WA.  They have a taco pizza that's awesome, but all of their pizza is great.  I'm partial to a good Hawaiian pizza (yes I'm one of THOSE people) and they never disappoint! There is also a Brazilian restaurant where we live now that serves up wood fired, Italian style Brazilian pizzas (which I didn't know was a thing). It is probably one of the best pizzas I've ever had, with all fresh ingredients - a rarity, especially in our small town of 1500!

Our house smells like cheap frozen pizza cooking in the oven......not a bad smell though. We have had the three grandkids since they closed all the schools.....I can't even recall what it's like to have a luxurious peaceful long cup of Joe....DFK

My  favorite  pizza  is a vegetarian with a bunch of veggies, which could include mushrooms, spinach, artichoke, olives, onion, and zucchini. NOT corn and broccoli I encountered this in Poland, where corn is standard on pizza and sometimes you find broc. (BTW  they also put ketchup on their pizza. ) One of the first things I learned to say in Polish was "vegetarian pizza without corn, please". My restaurant Polish got pretty good, but outside of restaurants, I was pretty useless. So you see where my priorities are.

As for favorite pizza, mine is pizza margherita and I do love the pizza shops in NYC and Philly. Bridget, I agree that corn and or broccoli don't belong on pizza!

You're killin' me.....Margherita cooked in a wood stove with garlic knots on the side and a cold draft....OMG! Best one I ever had in Golden Colorado.....to die for.

Making shrimp pasta salad with toasted garlic sour dough bread for me and the old man, kids get meatloaf and mash potatoes with peas (boring).......DFK

It was snowing here this morning! lol  Nothing stuck around, but a bit of a surprise since it's been so sunny recently!

Finally got a break in the weather here in KC. Went out for a trike ride, surprised how many people are still out on the road despite a metro wide stay at home order.  
Here’s a pic of my set of wheels! 

B7FF6ACC-DE02-46EB-9B2D-6B409B707A58.jpeg

Excitement is in short supply around here! I made a Dutch baby pancake for breakfast this morning. If the sunshine holds up (always questionable in Portland) I'll go for a walk shortly. If I were still working at the homeless shelter, I'd get a raise of $2/hour for working during the pandemic. On the other hand, I might get COVID 19 along with it!  I'm grateful for the brave souls that are holding down the fort at the shelter. They're all  younger than me, probably by at least 20 years, so not at such high risk. I'm also grateful for my social security and tiny pension and that my wife can do her job from home.  And we have a big stash of food and adequate toilet paper. So things are pretty good, actually.

BridgetO

Read this post a little earlier and got hungry for pizza! Went to the fridge and got leftover meat-lovers pizza which came from a local spot just down the street called Verardis. No veggies and dang sure no pineapple ... sorry Steff.

Nothing real exciting going on here ... wife is napping after radiation and an IV of Mg.  Getting warm here in east tennessee and it appears twice the number of squirrels are out and about than were around this winter. Gonna get real exciting if a squirrel chews through a fuel line again. Wife doesn't want me shooting "all the beautiful creatures" around our cabin. I'm just itching to make an example!

Steve

Definitely agree that excitement is very relative.  My daughters have been doing dance classes over Zoom so that has been exciting.  People in our neighborhood have been leaving messages on each other's driveway in sidewalk chalk.  It's fun to come outside to go for a walk and see them.  

Finally have some sunshine but it went from low 50's to 80 in one day. I helped my husband in the flower beds for an hour or so but got so hot I had to quit. It has been just a week since my last chemo so I didn't want to over do it. It just really feels good to get outside and have some sun. It's supposed to storm tonight so we will enjoy this while we can. 

Stay safe everyone!

Rose

I had my first Face Time medical consultation with an orthopedic surgeon today. I have an old Army injury that has decided to re-enlist. The doctor had my wife (an RN) do the strength tests for my arms, wrists and fingers and Martha described what she felt to the doctor. Looks like a C-5/C-6 disk surgery is in my future. I'm in pain at the base of my neck on the back side and have a shooting pain and numbness in my right arm. I can't feel anything in my thumb and first finger but a pins and needles sensation. We set an in office consultation for mid May provided COVID-19 cooperates.  Learned last night that my cruise company cancelled an early May cruise of the Greek Isles.  We made a ton of associated reservations and are happy we got a comprehensive travel insurance policy. Speaking of travel insurance, I believe it is a good idea to get comprehensive coverage for overseas travel. But, be sure and read the terms and conditions carefully. 

Tom

Hi Tom, a friend of mine recently had surgery for somerhing that had symptoms that sound similar to yours. I can't remember which disks, though. They replaced her "broken" disk with a prosthetic, plastic or silicone one. She had to wear a neck brace for a few weeks, but she's out of the brace now and doing fine.

Drat it that your cruise is cancelled! Our trip to Quebec to study French for 3 weeks was cancelled, too. As well as a short trip to Albuquerque earlier this month. I agree with you about the travel insurance. 

Tom, that's great that you could FaceTime your consultation so you can move forward to some relief.

We have our first cruise booked for early October so it will be interesting to see if that gets cancelled or we are back to normal by then.  I REALLY hope we will be back to normal by then.  This week we were supposed to be in Arizona for Spring Break but we cancelled that a few weeks ago.  I am very much looking forward to when things stop getting cancelled.

Everyone at LUNGevity had a virtual coffee break yesterday and we all say hi!

coffee breake.jpg

Archived