Jump to content
Freddy

Postpone surgery

Recommended Posts

Because of Covid19, my surgeon has advised I should wait to do surgery (lobectomy) until June.

Any comments, feedback?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Freddy,

I wish I knew. No one it seems knows what impact COVID-19 has on the medical system. Yesterday, I had a MRI at my clinic's imaging center and they told me they were closing it and directing patients to the hospital for these procedures. 

I see you live in California, one of the most effected COVID-19 states. You might try calling surgeons in Nevada.  I wish I had a better answer.

Stay the course.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Freddy, Do you have more than one CT scan over time?  It would be good to know how fast your nodule is growing. My nodule was small and very slow growing. It showed up in a CT for something else, and I was advised to repeat the CT in 3 months, which I did. It grew, but only slightly. I had a PET scan and the nodule didn't light up at all, which can happen with a small and not very active tumor. My nodule couldn't be biopsied without a lobectomy because of its location. Because of its suspicious appearance and my history of other cancers, I agreed with the recommendation for a lobectomy. However, I had a trip planned,  so after consultation with my doctor, I decided to postpone my surgery-- it ended up being done about 3 months later than it would otherwise. It was adenocarcinoma stage 1a.   For a prior non-lung cancer, which was known to be very fast growing, the surgeon rearranged his schedule to get me into surgery within a week, so I believe that the doctors know when it's really a rush and when it's not.

What I want to say by all this, if I were in your situation and had the doctors' opinion that no harm was likely from waiting, I'd wait. I'd want an explanation of the reason for that opinion.   If they can't  give the opinion or you're not satisfied with it, you might want to see if you can find a surgeon in another location as Tom suggested.  

Bridget O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason, I think, that the surgeon wants to postpone is really because of the level of possible infection from Covid19. The region he's in has one of the highest growth rates of the Virus. My family doctor is going to refer me to a radiation oncologist (lower survival rate) who might be able to treat me now instead of waiting & risking tumor growth. I have a slow growing tumor, BTW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...