SCLC extensive year survivors

Majandra

Hello. Any extensive SCLC survivors here? Sorry if this has previously been asked as I’m new to the group. Just looking for hope for my mother! I believe statistics are for statisticians, but I know there’s some truth to it. 
Thanks for any feedback.

Christelle

Hi Christelle ..  welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your mother.

People on this site are really great. I'm "newish" to the forum as my wife was diagnosed limited stage SCLC in January (see multiple posts). Can you give us more information about your mother? Metastases locations, what treatment has been planned, has she started treatment, etc. Treatments may differ between countries but some folks here may share their experience.

There are survivors out there and hopefully some will chime in on this forum for you.

Steve

Hello Steve from Luxemburg (sorry in advance for the future mistakes I may make, english isn’t my mothertongue).

My mother has 58 years old. She was diagnosed with an extensive small cell cancer that has spread to his liver. She was diagnosed on 13th March and she began his first chimio 14th March.

The 2nd chimio was this Monday for 3 days.

She's been offered to do the original carboplatin/etoposide regimen.

Dr says there is no cure and give us few months .... I’m so sad and terrify. I’m searching here hope, testimonies. People with similar diagnosis who are alive for years. Thanks in advance for your future answer.

Christelle

Christelle,

Welcome here and very sorry to learn of your mom's diagnosis. Your written english is superb! Your mom is currently receiving what in the US is termed "First Line (1st treatment) Standard of Care." I'm hoping this treatment does arrest her cancer.

In the US, we now have immunotherapy treatment for those who complete the first line therapy. The immunotherapy drugs Opdivo or Keytruda may be available to treat your mother is her disease progresses after her first line treatment. If her current therapy reduces the metastasis to one location, precision radiation (SBRT or stereotactic body radiation therapy) might also be an option of care. You should ask your mom's doctors about these treatments and availability in Luxembourg. 

In this community, we don't use the word cure because all forms of lung cancer have high incidents of recurrence after "successful" treatment. We use no evidence of disease or NED as our desired outcome. 

Stay the course.

Tom

• 1 year later...

Archived