Story coming to an end

It is now becoming clear my Mom’s battle is coming to an end. Over the past week or so, there have been some significant changes that are pointing in this direction. Hospice more or less confirmed this yesterday. She is still on her feet and living independently but that I believe will not last much longer. I will be taking a leave of absence from my job in the next week and will be staying with her 24/7 until the end. She’s has given it her all but is simply “running out of gas”.  She has lived longer and better than the predictions and for that I am grateful. To those of you fighting this dreadful disease, take strength in her fight, she was 89 years old when she was diagnosed and treated. She fought to see her first great great granddaughter born, yep you read that right, great great. Then fought to see her granddaughter get married and did so like she had not a thing wrong with her right up to the last dance of the evening. She’s had a hell of a ride and she’s made it to be almost 91. I should be that lucky.

We prayed for the birth, wedding and her last dance. All things considered, I'd say 91 and a great great grandmother adds up to a wonderful life.

Stay the course.

Tom

2 hours ago, Tom Galli said:

We prayed for the birth, wedding and her last dance. All things considered, I'd say 91 and a great great grandmother adds up to a wonderful life.

Stay the course.

Tom

I couldn’t agree more ❤️

How wonderful that your mom got to witness all of those milestones and that you have the memories of sharing them with her.  No matter how long a person has lived, it's always hard to say goodbye.  Please lean on us as much as you need to in the coming days.  Thinking of your family.

On 4/23/2020 at 1:55 PM, LUNGevityKristin said:

How wonderful that your mom got to witness all of those milestones and that you have the memories of sharing them with her.  No matter how long a person has lived, it's always hard to say goodbye.  Please lean on us as much as you need to in the coming days.  Thinking of your family.

Thank you Kristin. With as hard as the last 18 months have been, there has been so much joy as well. I look often at my daughters wedding book especially on days when I’m fighting not to lose sight of all those special moments. 

Blossomsmom,

I've said this before, your mom is so lucky to have you.  I am happy you have the capability to be by your mom's side until the very end.  I hope that you can build more happy memories with her during this time.

Take care,

Steff

23 hours ago, Steff said:

Blossomsmom,

I've said this before, your mom is so lucky to have you.  I am happy you have the capability to be by your mom's side until the very end.  I hope that you can build more happy memories with her during this time.

Take care,

Steff

Thank you Steff. I appreciate your sweet thoughts. 

I remember when the wedding was the dream.   I hope this time is as peaceful and calm as it can be.  Your mom is lucky to have such an amazing caring person by her side.  You and your mom will be in my prayers.   

On 4/26/2020 at 3:42 PM, Curt said:

I remember when the wedding was the dream.   I hope this time is as peaceful and calm as it can be.  Your mom is lucky to have such an amazing caring person by her side.  You and your mom will be in my prayers.   

thank  you Curt for your kind words. Although the fear I have of the next couple of weeks is overwhelming I try to focus on happier times with my Mom. The memories of my daughters wedding help get me through each day.

It has been a week since my post above and I think I have felt every emotion there is since then. My Mom is sleeping peacefully in a hospital bed in her family room where she has been since Tuesday afternoon. All the kids, grand, great grand and great great grand kids have been here at one time or another over the past 3 days. I am relieved now that they’ve all been here to say all it was they wanted to say to her and her to them. To say this is agonizing is an understatement. But I will get through this and I will see it through to the inevitable conclusion. I know that my dad will be waiting for her along with so many others to get the party started when she arrives. And I take solace in that.

Archived