2 years NED, now a nodule :(

Mark C

Hi all,

I have not been around in a while, as all was good and I was just living life. I had a left pneumonectomy 4/18, then 4 rounds chemo for 2b squamous cell.  All my scans to this point have been good until now. I have a new 3mm "non specific" nodule on lower right lobe. I see onc tomorrow but I am kind of worried. CEA numbers are still good and there was no mention of enlarged nodes or anything else. I suspect there will be a watch & wait approach? I was just looking for others thoughts or experiences with nodules showing up. 

Thank you!! 

Mark,

I do remember you! I do hope that 3mm thing stays “non specific”. As you likely recall, most lung nodules are not cancer but for folks with a history of lung cancer, many nodules do in fact turn out to be recurrences. Good that you were being followed up. A 3mm find is much better than a 3cm find.

If future scans show concern, don’t forget to investigate the surgery-like treatment power of stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) as a treatment method. Radiation oncologist are getting very aggressive in using this precision radiation in frying nodules.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Mark,

After the right pneumonectomy back in May 2018, all the scans were "fine" (will explain the quotation in a sec) until the latest CT last month.  They saw nodules in the right pleural area, right armpit lymph node(s) and behind right collar bone.  Followed up with PET scan.  A long story short, the tumor board decided they have been there "a while" (although I had been told "fine".  Yes, it's confusing to me too, anyway) and rather than putting me through an invasive biopsy, they decided to watch more closely, so I'm on 3 month CT scan schedule (I did enjoy 6 month schedule for a years. Sigh).  Stupid nodules... 

Sending you warm thoughts,

MB

Thanks Tom & MB! I appreciate the sentiment. 

It is a wait & see deal. 3 months, so I guess i wait. Ugh! Tom, she mentioned that if it does turn out to be a tumor, we could cyberknife it. (One of the options). That is what you

are referring to, no?? My local cancer center has a unit on premise. If need be, I say we fry it!!!😁 I'll be lurking.

Mark

Mark,

CyberKnife is a type of SBRT. An analogy can be made with personal computers. There are PCs and MACs, but both are personal computers and do the same thing by slightly different methods. My SBRT used a CyberKnife and I am a fan.

So fry on if necessary.

Stay their course.

Tom

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Just got my nodule re scanned & it is still "non specific", the same size & "more faint than on last scan and likely benign".

I am quite happy today. Just thought I would update.

Mark

Yay, Mark!! GREAT news! Do keep an eye on it, though. After three years, I'm dealing with a recurrence. Hopefully yours continues on its happy, non-specific, non-growing way.

Hi Lexi,

We will be watching for sure. I have been following along about your situation as well. You are the last person I thought this would happen to, 

given your history and early stage dx. The random way these things happen is crazy.  Sending positive vibes your way. Thank you for all you do

for me and all the others here. 

Archived