First scans after treatment.

Lisa66

Helloooo All,

I have been away for awhile. I did not do so well with cisplatin. In the hospital 4 times with infections, non existent blood counts and blood transfusions. Oh yeah I cant possibly leave out esophagitis. I am now done with chemo and radiation and started on a year of durvalumab. I have had first set of scans post treatment. I have a marked interval decreased size of cavitary nodule in the lateral segment middle lobemessuring 1.9 x 1.7 cm previously 2.8 x 2.2 and subcarinal lymph node now measures 1.4 x 1.7 from 1.8 x1.9 and mediastinal lymph node is 1,2 x 1.7 from 1.2 x 1.8. DR says this is great and that it will be like a burn pile in the yard. the charred remains will still be there. I am just confused, is the cancer dead or alive. She seemed happy, but I still see tumors. Am I wrong? I need some experienced advice. 

Lisa,

Well I’m glad Durvalumab is having a good effect. Do you know we have a very comprehensive forum devoted to Durvalumab? Here is the link for the “Druva Club”: 

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks Tom for the info on the Durva club. I will check that out. What is your thoughts on the tumor shrinkage? Is that cancer dead  or will it die. She says she is still treating with the intent to cure, but when I read the results it says it has shrunk not grown and it has not spread. That seems different than charted burn pile. Just confused. Thanks again. 

Lisa

Hey Lisa, 

Just wanted to drop a line and say, hello, it's nice to hear from you again!  Let's get this show on the road.  As a newly inducted member of the Durva Club, you will find the biggest challenge for the ladies has been weight gain.... ugh.    There's some really great information in all the Durva posts which will leave you very prepared on what to expect from this brave group of trailblazers.    Glad to learn about your most recent update!  Carry on, 

Michelle 

Hi Rower,

Thanks for your welcome into the club. Not a club I would have thought to be in 6 months ago, but that’s how it goes sometimes. I have started reading the post starting in 2018 and am in 2019 right now. Very interesting and helpful. The weight gain you have just warned me about is not good. I spent several months loosing tones of weight from severe esophagitis and not being able to eat, to now eating everything in sight because I can!! I must stop the madness. Lol Thanks again  for your response .

Lisa

Lisa,

My thought on tumor shrinkage is treatment is working. When I read my old scan radiology reports (a good idea to get paper copies of all your diagnostics), they refer to “scars” where tumors once were, three in total in my right lung. Two of these resulted from chemotherapy and the remainder was SBRT precision radiation. So the analogy of a charred burn pile in the yard is a good one and lets hope continued shrinkage results in “scarred-down” tumors. Durva is good stuff for many!

Stay the course.

Tom

Archived