Braxton

What was your very first symtom of lung cancer?

My ex husband, who is also my best friend has been coughing up small amounts of blood for the last four days.  It started when he lifted a heavy box above his head and wrenched his right side. He was in alot of pain.  He was taking ALEVE for the pain first two days. The pain has subsided. He does smoke a pack a day. He is not losing weight, not unusually tired, and appetite is good, no shortness of breath, or pain upon breathing.  Don't know if this lifting injury and started to cough up blood is a coincidence. I know it can be a symtom of lung cancer. He doesn't cough but very little and doesn't cough that much, maybe three times a day.  Today he woke up and bottom of right ribs feels sore in one spot. I am alittle worried. 

Coughing up blood is not usually a symptom of a lifting injury.  You could cough up blood if you had a more traumatic injury to your lungs like dropping a box on your chest.   It could also be a symptom of plenty of ailments, cancer being one of them.  It’s worth getting it checked out for sure.   

My husband had zero systems despite advanced cancer. From what I understand, that's not all that atypical. I would definitely get checked out, especially given that he's coughing up blood.

Braxton,

Coughing up blood was the symptom that caused me to seek medical attention and the resulting scan showed a large metastatic tumor contained within the main stem of my right lung's bronchus. There can be other explanations for coughing and rib pain, but I don't think a lifting injury would produce this symptom.

I didn't have problems with appetite or weight loss, shortness of breath (despite the tumor almost filling the bronchus), and pain with breathing. My only symptom was coughing with blood, and I delayed seeking medical attention. It did not go away.

I'd suggest a doctor visit promptly.

Stay the course.

Tom

I had a cough for an entire summer that was misdiagnosed as allergies, whooping cough, acid reflux, bronchitis, and pneumonia.  After twelve appointments with three different doctors, a smart nurse ordered a CT scan where my cancer diagnosis came as a shock to all given my age and overall health.   Just before admission to the hospital I did cough up blood (which had been attributed to use of multiple inhalers).   

Insurance companies are reluctant to pay for a CT scan however, it’s really critical to receive for an accurate diagnosis.  

Michelle

Braxton,

In my case I experienced no symptoms, but rather it was a CT Scan for a kidney stone that showed my nodule.  As a result, after surgery, I was staged at 1a.  Coughing blood is always worth a serious look.

Lou