Terrified newbie

CLM

CLM,

Thinking of you! Hope you get some encouraging treatment plans from your doc!

Best,

Ro

CLM,

Just thinking of you and hope you will soon have the answers you've been waiting for !    Please let us know how you are doing and take care.

Hi All, The diagnosis is stage IV non-small cell adenocarinoma. I’m waiting for the bio marker results, and I get the pet scan and mri later this week. The dr thinks I’ll be a good candidate for targeted therapy so crossing my fingers and toes for clean scans (other than what I already know), clean mri, and “good” mutation. Feeling all kinds of things! Working hard to remain positive and keep a healthy attitude. 
❤️

Hi, CLM. I'm late to the party but see that you've met so many of the wonderful people here. This site gave me hope when I had none. I'm now 4.5 years in as a stage IV NSCLC survivor. 

Hoping you are a candidate for targeted therapy - lots of great options there. 

I found out yesterday that I have lung cancer and that is all I know.  I have an appointment with my doctor at 10 am so I will know more then. I have been short of breath and concerned about Covid so I went to the doc on Tuesday. He sent me in for a chest X-ray thinking I might have a blood clot and then yesterday an MRI. They called and said it was cancer. That is all I know.  The thing is I'm not shocked or terrified. I'm 69 and thinking I have had a really good life so far. I will do whatever I need to fight, but I am more concerned about my husband.  Also how to tell my family and friends. 

Linda "Azzy"

Hi Linda "Azzy": Sorry to hear that you have lung cancer. You made the right decision to join the site. I am also newly diagnosed and still learning  but I don't understand how they come to the conclusion without a CT scan, PT scan, bronchoscopy or a biopsy.  My oncologist told me that lung cancer is often not visible on X-rays. I suppose the MRI was done on the brain? In any event you seem to have the right attitude about fighting it. I wish you the best and hope you share  more details as they become available. There are many wonderful people on this forum who will share their experience and help you navigate the journey going forward.

Gary

18 hours ago, Susan Cornett said:

Hi, CLM. I'm late to the party but see that you've met so many of the wonderful people here. This site gave me hope when I had none. I'm now 4.5 years in as a stage IV NSCLC survivor. 

Hoping you are a candidate for targeted therapy - lots of great options there. 

Thank you! That gives me so much hope!

Hi Gary, As it turns out I am now scheduled for a biopsy this coming mon or tues. My oncologist is not sure if it's cancer or an infection. so we will see what happens. He did say if it's an infection I will not see him again. If it is cancer then I will have a good 4 plus years . I'll take that.... 

Thank you for the reply.... 

CLM,

I am sorry to hear you've learned you are Stage IV, but as you know you are not alone and many of us are Stage IV and are doing well.   I am also NSCLC Adeno, but do not have any targetable mutations.  Nonetheless, I've still done very well with the standard treatments and recently celebrated my 5th year.   I wish you the very best and hope you you Pet Scan and MRI both will be fine.  

I am a tiny bit baffled by your Oncologist already saying they think you will "be a good candidate for targeted therapy"??   Knowing that you do not have you biomarker test results I wonder what made him/her make that comment?    Do they already have some "results" that is leading him in this direction?  

Keep up the positive attitude and again, best wishes on the MRI and Pet Scan!

Lisa

On 7/10/2020 at 5:06 PM, azzy said:

Hi Gary, As it turns out I am now scheduled for a biopsy this coming mon or tues. My oncologist is not sure if it's cancer or an infection. so we will see what happens. He did say if it's an infection I will not see him again. If it is cancer then I will have a good 4 plus years . I'll take that.... 

Thank you for the reply.... 

Azzy,

I am happy to read your update to and know that they will be doing a biopsy to determine whether or not you have LC or some type of infection.   I personally, so NOT trust Chest Xrays as fast as being a good tools in diagnosing Lung Cancer.   Even CT Scans and Pet scans can only show that a tumor/node may be suspicious for lung cancer.  A biopsy is the only test that can conclusively diagnose you.   I truly HOPE you may find that whatever you have is some type of benign condition.  I think you are very wise to keep a positive outlook and wait for your biopsy results.     

Additionally, I feel strongly that doctors should NOT be  putting a time frame on your life and it makes me upset to think that anyone would make that type of statement at this point in your diagnostic process.   It's impossible for anyone to know you "have a  good 4 plus years"?      Makes me crazy when doctors do this, even with patients who have been fully diagnosed and staged.  I am VERY thankful and happy that my Oncologist never did that too me.  I have NEVER asked for a long term prognosis and I never will.    I truly do not believe any doctor can predict life and how well anyone may or may not do with treatments, especially now that we have so many new treatment options.    I have read and heard about so many patients who have been devastated by doctors telling them they only had XXX number of years to live?   Grrr!!!     I'm very thankful that my Oncologist NEVER did that or ever put any type of time frame on my life.  None of us came into this world with an expiration date and no one can predict our individual response to treatment.   My Oncologist was wonderful and I loved how she talked to me, she was honest and open, but never scared me or put any time frame on my life.     She told me at my first visit that I had Stage IV Lung Cancer and that "currently" we do not have a cure for my Stage, but that we DID and do have several treatment options and that she will continue treat me with every possible option.  She gave me hope and that's when I knew I had the right doctor for me.  I also told her I was thankful she did not give me a groom prognosis and that I was going to fight hard and plan to beat this!    Take care and again, best of luck on your upcoming biopsy.  

Azzy,

Agree completely with Lisa's point about how much time any of us have left. There are so many variables and uncertainty for such a projection.

Here is something I pass along for the newly diagnosed or those facing a diagnostic process. I hope your biopsy goes smoothly. Let us know about the results.

Stay the course.

Tom

Archived