Side effects (gums)

sashjo

Hi all. Has anyone experienced mouth sores as a side effect to your treatment and found a remedy that helps it to heal or be managed. I think my oncologist is amazing but I feel like he might be dropping the ball on this particular issue. He recommended I go to a dermatologist. What they've given me seems to be ineffective. The good news is my cancer which is Stage 4 Non Small Cell is very inactive. Yay!! I'm thrilled. The troublesome thing is I'm thin already and I'm eating less and less because of the discomfort. If you have any suggestions I'd be very grateful. Thanks - Josh

Josh,

If you are in treatment, and are eating less, you have an "eating inorder." Try ice cream or milk shakes or something with lots of calories. During chemo, everything tasted so bad that I stopped eating. My wife's research, a dietitian and a RN, discovered mint flavored items were appetite enhancers for folks receiving chemotherapy. She purchased commercial chocolate mint ice cream to test the theory, and when proved, she started churning up her own adding crushed Oreo mint cookies into the blend to add even more calories. Don't drop weight during chemo!

Mouth sores are hard to deal with. I would think a dermatologist would be helpful. I consulted with my dentist and he prescribed a regime of prescription mouth rinses that dealt with my sores. I've heard the real "old time survivors" tell me a mouth rinse with a weak concentration of baking soda worked. I didn't try that, but relied on my dentist. OBTW, if in chemotherapy, it is a good idea to have regular dental checkups.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks for all the advice Tom!  I'm going to check with my dentist and see what he's got to say. Warmest Regards - Josh

Hi Josh, I've not had the chemo mouth sores, but several on the forums (and elsewhere) who have had have uses something called "Miracle Mouthwash". It's a prescription that has to be compounded by the pharmacist. I don't think it's intended to be curative, but rather to relieve pain so eating will be easier.  I agree with Tom about seeing a dentiist.

Best,

Bridget O (aka Lee)

Archived