Laura42 Posted July 9, 2020 Share Posted July 9, 2020 Hi friends, My dad (former smoker) had been coughing for 2 weeks and went to the Dr this week. Xray and then CT scan shows a large mass in the upper lung. Pulmonologist says it's inoperable, the largest mass he's seen (he's been practicing for 6 years). In the past 2 days dad has been hoarse; turns out tumor is pressing on his windpipe. Biopsy is scheduled for 7/16 which seems like an eternity from now. Apparently dad has to go off his blood thinners and get a covid test and maybe some other tests before the biopsy. Then we need to wait maybe 5 more days to see the oncologist. I am trying not to freak out but my grandmother (a heavier smoker who never quit) got lung cancer in 1991 and my memory isn't great but I do remember that the cancer was so advanced that chemo wasn't an option and she was gone within a month or two. So to me 2 weeks sounds like a terrible wait. Especially because at this point we don't know if it's small cell or non small cell. I don't know if that's something the pulmonologist could guess at given my dad's symptoms. The pulmonologist did say it was a fast growing cancer. Which does seem to be the case if dad went from zero to hoarse in 2 days. I feel like if I knew which type of cancer it was I could start doing research and feel in control even a little bit. My family is obviously very worried and trying to figure out how to get through the next 2 weeks without a diagnosis. Especially with what we went through with my grandmother. Thanks in advance for any advice. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.