Broken ribs?

Barb1260

I have bilateral rib fractures. I believe my osteoporosis got worse from steroids from chemo     They aren’t healing since I keep coughing!   Not fun

Radiation sometimes weakens bones. When I had pelvic radiation (for a non-lung cancer), I subsequently had spontaneous fractures in my sacrum (part of the pelvic bones),  not caused by any stress or accident to the area. I learned that fractures in some locations (such as the wings of the sacrum) caused by radiation are not uncommon. Fortunately my fractures were not  displaced and weren't painful and were discovered in a  routine surveillance CT.  I didn't need any treatment, but I did, out of abundance of caution, stop doing some things that seemed like they might cause impact , like splitting wood..

This is one of the several late occurring  or ongoing side effects of  my cancer treatment. I have to remind myself from time to time that without the aggressive treatment that  I had I probably wouldn't be alive today (NED 9 years later) so it's a small price to pay.

Bridget O

Archived