Back to the drawing board...

LexieCat

Hey, folks,

Sorry I haven't posted much in the last year or so--everything rolling along great and focusing on other things.

As of today, that changes a bit. I went for what was to be the last of my 6-month post-scan checkups (they were going to switch to annual if all looked good) and an area of diffuse consolidation in my lower right lobe that they'd seen on previous scans now appears more solid and suspicious for cancer. Ugh. It is NOT suspected that this has any relationship to my original cancer (for those who don't know, I has an upper left lobectomy almost exactly three years ago--NSCLC, Stage 1b). Rather, it's most likely just a function of my susceptibility to lung cancer as a result of my many years of smoking. 

Today's visit was with a brand-new (new to me) oncologist--mine has taken a new job in Minneapolis. The good news is that I REALLY liked this doctor. He projected the perfect mix of concern and encouragement that I liked so much in my surgeon. 

The doc ordered a PET scan, which will be scheduled as soon as the insurance company authorizes. Doc says we will see how that turns out, and the results will be discussed at their tumor board. He said I then might be seeing my surgeon again. I told him I LOVE my surgeon (probably my favorite doc who's ever treated me) but I REALLY was hoping never to see him professionally again. I told him I was afraid of having a SECOND lobectomy. He assured me they would look at all the options and suggested I might be a candidate for CyberKnife radiation surgery if it comes to that.

So yeah, pretty bummed. I really don't wanna have to go through this all again. If it weren't for the honor of the thing, I'd just as soon walk.

Hi Terri,

Wow that’s not what you would expect after three years of good scans.  I’m sorry you’re having to got through the process all over.  Hopefully it isn’t anything, but if there’s something brewing this sounds like another early find.   You’ve given us such great advice here,  you’re far better prepared to ask questions and be an empowered consumer this go round.   Keep us posted.  Carry on. 
Michelle

Thanks, Michelle,

Yeah, it's just knowledge I was hoping not to have to actually USE again (as opposed to sharing). I'm still processing and the isolation these days doesn't help. I'm still working (from home--as I was before the pandemic, though travel is off the table at this point), but I'm actually on "vacation" this week. I bought myself an ebike, and was looking forward to getting some fun in. Anyway, the people I would normally talk stuff like this through with are all unavailable at the moment. Glad the forum is still here. 

I had a meme I posted on my FB around the end of March, that said, "My 90-day trial of 2020 is up, and I'd like to cancel my subscription." What a sucky year this has turned out to be--all the way around.

Hi Terri,

URRRRRRRRRRRGH & ditto to what Michelle said 😁

Hoping for a good scan... 🤞 and may your shiny ebike take your mind off even just a bit...

MB

Terri,

I hope the PET is conclusive. Nothing more disconcerting than a “maybe” PET result. 

I like the way your oncologist is approaching a path to treatment. I know of others that have had surgical procedures to remove a second suspicious lobe after a first surgery. And of course CyberKnife is my life saver. 

Good to hear from you. I understand COVID stir crazy. We have a Friday zoom session (actually 2) for survivors. I’ll be happy to hook you up if you want to join in. PM me if you are interested. 

Funny, I was thinking of an ebike also but backed away when I learned of the “reliability” problems. Early electric motor failure is common as is battery failure to hold charge per my research. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

I'll message you privately about the ebike. I'm actually on a FB group with owners of this particular make, and the customer support is fantastic. The problems don't seem to be more widespread than mechanical/electrical problems with other vehicles. I've actually got a second one on order so I can ride with friends--it's a good socially-distanced activity. You get too close and you crash!

Sure, send me the Zoom info. Depending on what time of day it is, I might be able to join (sans video--I've decided the pandemic is a perfect time to grow out my gray so right now my hair is, um, interesting). 🤣 I'm still working full-time, so daytime meetings (9-5 EDT) are out for me.

Lexiecat, my friend, we were just talking about you during a moderators meeting.  I'm happy to hear from you, but not to the reason why.  And I'm happy to hear you like your new doc.  Hopefully all will go as planned and you have a treatment plan (if needed) sooner than later.

I have to admit, I had to google "ebike"...us rural folks where I live only know about 4 wheelers and tractors! lol

I'm working from home (since April) and love it, but I agree that our 90-day trial of 2020 has been over for sometime...I definitely don't want to subscribe!  My cats are even sick of us being home 24/7!

Good to hear from you,

Steff

Hey Lexicat and welcome back, but I wish it was for some other reason. What a drag to be faced with a possible second lung cancer. No wonder you're bummed. It sounds like you're doing all the right things, though. Keep us posted and let us know what we can do to support you.

Bridget O

Hello and welcome back, albeit for icky reasons. So glad you like your oncologist - such an important part of the process. I am crossing my fingers for you. Please keep us posted.

Hey, thanks, guys. Good to have you all back in my corner. I talked to family last night (ex-husband, who is still probably my closest friend, and my kiddos) and they were concerned but supportive, as well. My daughter (33) gave me a heads-up about her younger brother's (31) tendency to privately worry a lot about this sort of thing, so I was careful to be as reassuring as I could with him, especially, encouraging him to ask me about anything he wants to know. I'm FB friends with my old oncologist, so I dropped him a note to let him know what was going on, and he asked me to keep him posted. I've been extraordinarily lucky with my doctors through all of this--everyone, from the first pulmonologist I saw before my first diagnosis to now, has been terrific. My surgeon gave me his personal cell phone number so I could call him directly with any questions--something I minimized but I did take advantage of a couple of times when I had an urgent question. 

Sorry to hear this Lexi.  2020 does feel like it is piling on.  You were a terrific resource for me when I was approaching my lobectomy.  I can’t thank you enough for that.  You’ve got this.  

LexiCat,

I'm sorry to hear this news, but stand with everyone else to support you in any way we can.  You were there for me when I need it and I'm honored to be here for you.  All prayers going out from me that you won't be needing more treatment.

Lou

Called my cousin yesterday--she's the one who came out after my first surgery to help me out. She's in California, so no prospect of that happening this time, but she's a great support person. VERY positive and does a great pep talk. She's one person I don't feel the need to comfort, myself, which is always a relief. It gets tiring reassuring people. We had a great talk--we had a lot to catch up on. We keep in touch but it's been a long time since we had a long talk.

I also talked to my brother, who's in Newfoundland at the moment, getting ready to start shooting this fall for a new TV series on Syfy for which he is showrunner. I'm so excited for him--and if it weren't for the dang pandemic, I could go up and visit on-set. He's the only American on this show--all the writers and crew are Canadian. He's got four days of quarantine left before he can leave the house where he's staying, and the Canadian government calls him every day to make sure he's behaving himself. If the show's a success, hopefully I'll get a chance to visit in the future. Apparently it was quite the ordeal for him to get into the country, but they are sure doing things right there. He tells me there is ONE case of COVID in the entire province and that's a guy in the hospital. Shows what can be accomplished when the government handles things right!

Archived