Bump in the road today

Olivia

Well, today we are dealing with a bit of a scare. My dad is in the ER because he’s dealing with some speech issues. Hard to explain but it kinda just seems like he can’t find words. He can talk, walk, understand everything but it seems like a big brain fart (best way to describe it). He’s in the MRI as we speak and my sister is with him. They were able to rule out stroke.

I’m at home panicking because we all know where SCLC likes to go. If he has Mets, is there any hope for him? I know I’ve read about lots of people on here that have had Mets and they’re doing just fine. I guess I just need some reassurance that the fight isn’t over if that’s what they find. 

Olivia,

SCLC does frequently occur in the brain and many have surgery, whole brain radiation, or precision radiation to deal with brain mets. So the fight is not yet over. Here is information on radiation therapy that may be helpful at this juncture.

The MRI should provide clarity of the situation.

Stay the course.

Tom

Update: MRI came back and sure enough, there’s a tumor. They’re giving him steroids to reduce inflammation and get his speech back to normal. Meeting with radiologist on Monday to talk about what they’re going to do to treat it. I’m falling apart you guys...it feels like this whole journey has just consisted of me waiting for the next bad thing to happen. And I’m always scared it’s the last thing. 

I'm sorry you all are dealing with this, Olivia. But as Tom said, there are ways they can get this under control. First thing is to get that tumor out of the way. I hope the steroids are effective in relieving the immediate problem with speech. It's gotta be frustrating to hear/understand but be unable to communicate back.

Hang in there--we've got your back!

Hi Olivia,

I'm sorry to hear about your dad's brain tumor. There are folks on these forum that have had surgery or radiation to successfully treat brain mets. There is hope. Hang in there!

Bridget O

I'm sorry too.  I hope all goes well as they may try to radiate it.  I was curious if it's just one tumor?  If so, I would be hopeful they can target and kill that.

Diane, 

the ER doc (who was less than helpful) said he found “a tumor” in the MRI. When we talked with radiology onc, turns out there are five. He gave the option for WBRT or more localized radiation; he recommended WBRT to ensure they fry all the tumors (even microscopic ones that might not be showing up). I hate the horror stories about WBRT but I’m just trying to trust the doctor.  

I was just as worried. My husband had 7. Two large golf ball sized ones at his brain stem that they had to remove, or he could have honestly died at anytime. He had WBR for the rest and with the exception of his short term memory, he handled it pretty well. We are at 23 months today. 

so try to stay positive ♥️

Archived