Update on my dad - WBRT in our future

Olivia

Sheesh. Long morning. Wasn’t the news I was hoping for, but at least we have a plan. After meeting with the oncologist, it looks like there are 5-6 tumors in the brain. Surgery is not an option due to the amount of tumors. The treatment plan will be radiation to the ENTIRE brain to ensure hitting all spots; even spots that are microscopic and might not have been detected or cancer cells that appear during this process. It will be a 10 day treatment plan. About 4-6 weeks after, we will do a follow up MRI to see where we’re at. If the larger tumors haven’t completely shrunk, it’s possible to give extra radiation to those larger spots. We don’t have the schedule printed yet for the start day of treatment, but it should be in the next week or so.

Someone please tell me there is hope here. I’m terrified. I am desperately asking for anyone who has lived through brain metastasis to please tell me you’re doing okay. 

Hi, Olivia,

I know very little about brain mets, but just wanted to send you some support. I would assume, though, that they wouldn't be pursuing this course of treatment if they didn't think it would help him. What did the oncologist say you could expect if things go well?

Olivia,

I've not had whole brain radiation therapy (WBRT) but know many who have. I even know someone who had three WBRT sessions in three successive years and went on to live for about 5 years after his lung cancer was arrested only to perish from a heart attack.

I won't try to sugar coat things. SCLC is a tough row to hoe; brain mets up the difficulty, but WBRT can eliminate tumors with minimal side effects. Even tumors that are too small to see on scans.

There should be no pain and any neurologic symptoms he's having should start to wane shortly after treatment starts.  Some have had hair loss and a redness of the scalp. Hang in there. 

Stay the course.

Tom 

Thank you both for your replies. It’s so hard to not hear from people who have experienced this, it makes me scared that these people aren’t around anymore. On the other hand, people aren’t sitting around on this website all day I suppose. I just am glad to hear from you two. Friends and family are reaching out, apologizing and giving prayers - almost as if they think the fight is over. I don’t feel like other people have as much hope as I do. Doctor told my dad “I will not fail you”, which made me feel better. I am nervous that he has to stop immunotherapy while he does radiation - hopefully that’s doesn’t set us back even more. As always, thank you for listening!

Olivia,

"I don’t feel like other people have as much hope as I do." The don't and they won't. The only time someone learns about lung cancer is after a diagnosis experience. Fortunately, the treatment experience is been revolutionized in the last several years--your dad's immunotherapy is but one innovation.

But faith and hope are still very important treatment components. Perhaps this might help you understand their significance to survivors and care givers.

Stay the course.

Tom

Sometimes it's just a matter of first things first. Put out the biggest, most dangerous fire first and then get back to the more manageable ones. Hang in there!!

Archived