MRI scheduling

LexieCat

One of the concerns arising from my PET CT is a glowing spot on my sacrum, not visible on the CT. So the docs decided they needed a closer look at that and ordered an MRI. When I called to schedule it, the earliest date they could give me at the radiology center where I'm being treated was August 30. Despite my efforts, and my oncologist's efforts, they have nothing any sooner. My oncologist's nurse suggested I try other providers in the area. So I called the place down the street (5 mins' drive from here) where I get my mammograms and other scans (I think they did my PET CT 3 years ago). 

Turns out they can get me in next week, two days after my biopsy. Yay!! I had to jump through all the hoops to get the authorization changed to that provider, but that was relatively painless. I'll go pick up my images from the PET CT so the radiologist has them. 

This is a BIG relief for me--I was pretty uncomfortable with the prospect of waiting for that to be done. This way, if it turns out they need to biopsy the bone or something, they can get going with that, too. 

Better yet, original provider (hospital affiliated with my MD Anderson Cancer Center) just called and they can get me in TODAY. So headed over there now. Had to change the authorization AGAIN but it took 2 minutes this time.

All done! Long and uncomfortable, but otherwise efficient and friendly. Amazingly, the tech got a vein for the contrast on the FIRST STAB. I was effusive in my gratitude--I literally felt nothing, not even a pinch. She's a magician. She said they got good images, but now I'll have to wait to learn what they found. Hopefully hear from doc this week--I gave him a heads-up I got an appointment today. Plus it's the same place where I had the PET CT, so no need to pick up films, etc.

Hopefully this turns out to be a good omen. Fingers crossed!!!

Incidentally, with the exception of one hair-pulling experience dealing with someone in the insurance company's authorization department the other day, everyone I've dealt with in the radiology departments and insurance company have been very kind and understanding of the urgency. One thing to be grateful for. This is hard enough without feeling like you're dealing with bureaucratic automatons.

I’m so glad that you were able to get your MRI done today, instead of having to wait weeks to get an appointment.

My thoughts and best wishes are with you for a good outcome. 

Lexie,

I'm so glad that you were able to get in today for your MRI.  It's great that you can now continue to move forward and not sit sidelined by a calendar.

Lou

Archived