Daughter coming to stay for a while

LexieCat

My daughter (33), who lives in Colorado, is going to come stay with me, probably through the end of the year. Her office can work remotely till January, at least.  I talked to her last night, and she and her brother are going to use their dad's SUV to drive out with her stuff, taking turns driving straight through so they don't have to stop and stay anywhere. Her brother's going to stay for just a couple of days and then drive back; we really don't need two cars because she can drive mine while she's here. 

Daughter works for Davita Kidney Health, so she's very careful and health-conscious.

I have no other family in the area--they are all out West--and even though I have helpful neighbors, I think this will be a huge help, as well as comforting. I normally spend Christmas with them in Colorado and that's not in the cards for this year, at least, so it will be good to see both of them. 

We have started the negotiations about food/cooking. She WAS a pescatarian (no meat but would eat seafood), but now she eats some meat (except for beef). That will make things a little easier. I've got a freezer full of food (purchased for pandemic) and a huge pantry shelf with staples we need to start working our way through. Depending on treatment, I may be limited in what I can stomach, but we have enough options we should be able to come up with some workable meals.

:)

Well that post just made me smile!!  So glad you have your daughter coming.  And to be able to think about her being with you possibly until the end of the year!  Yay!  That has to be feel very comforting.  And to have both of them for a few days, even better!

I’ve never heard of a pescatarian, learn something new everyday still.  Good to be able to eat some of that food in your freezer and pantry. Mine is also stuffed full.  I keep saying that I’m going to start cooking what’s in there and then I don’t feel like eating that and order more, so it stays full!  

Great news about your children coming, I’m happy for you. 😊

Babs

Teri,

I guess we think alike. My freezer is filled to the "gills". Additionally we've got US Army Meals Ready to Eat (MREs) and freeze dried entries found on Amazon. So we have food on loan from the Lord!

We were major Lysol wipe users but they are hard to come by these days. We purchased a bottle of commercial bleach and a spay bottle and now use it in place of Lysol wipes. Everything that comes into the house gets the custom dilution-bleach-treatment--even the mail! My Army training suggested bleach as an alternative. It is used to decontaminate soldiers and equipment from the residue of chemical and biological attack!

Enjoy your kids!

Stay the course.

Tom

I've got several bottles of Lysol that is made to be diluted for wiping things down in the house (will put in spray bottles), plus a few containers of wipes we can keep in the car. I bought a big box of those super-strong shop towels that will be good to use for cleaning, rather than going through rolls of expensive paper towels. Also picked up a couple boxes of vinyl gloves. And I just bought some extra cloth masks that I really like (bought on Etsy--they have good coverage from bridge of nose to below chin and fit snugly).

Lexie,

Great to have family support, I'm so glad to hear it.  I saw all the posts on bleach, Lysol and food and all I can say is, "WoW!".  I'll admit to a full freezer and pantry, and yes I do use bleach and rags, but if we ever have a major attack on the US, I'm going over to Tom's house.  :)

Lou

So happy to hear that your daughter is coming to stay! What a treat!

We are also working on our food stockpile. We are starting to see the back of our big freezer, in spots, so I am getting a bit nervous, lol!  We usually have a stockpile of meat in our freezer, just not this much.  Hoping that hunting season works out in Washington so my husband can bag a deer and add to the freezer.  We were lucky to get our garden going this year and although it started off slow, we are soon going to be trying to figure out what to do with a million roma tomatoes and zucchini! 

Lexiecat, It's great that your kids are coming and your daughter is staying!

Tom, quite a stash of gloves! We have always kept an emergency food supply, but now we're bursting at the seams with food. In the very back of the emergency cupboard is a great big can of crackers with a shelf life of something like 30 years. If we ever get down to those, the situation is dire!

I've been getting a load of food from a supermarket every couple of weeks- order on line and pick up. There are other markets in town that I feel safe enough to go to--ones that do a lot of sanitizing, limit the number of people in the store, everybody is masked, hand sanitizer is out for use , etc. Unfortunately they are all either high end (read expensive) or natural food stores or both and sometimes we want some junk food, like Cheeze-its and frozen pissa, (as well as frozen peas that aren't $3.00 a bag.) A couple of months back, right after the big shopping trip, our fridge bit the dust. Ever tried buying a fridge online during the pandemic? Lots of choices, if you can wait 3 or 4 weeks or more for delivery. We finally found something that could be delivered in less than  a week.  Despite coolers and dry ice, we lost a lot of food, including frozen pizzas and ice cream. We didn't have to resort to the canned crackers though. 

Lexicat, I am so happy to hear that your children are coming for a visit and that your daughter will be staying with you for  awhile. You can sure use their support . I’m hoping that whatever treatment you choose for your sacrum will be the last procedure that you have to go through.. 

Thanks, Rose, but I've got the tumors/lymph nodes in my lungs and elsewhere that need to be treated, too. So I'm gonna be dealing with treatments for the foreseeable future, I think. 

I’m sorry to hear that. I guess I didn’t go far enough back in your posts where you gave that information. Best wishes for all to go well for you.

Archived