Yesterday session at the ILCSC titled "Lung Cancer and COVID" featured 4 physicians (2 med oncs., 1 pulmonologist & 1 rad onc.) discussing COVID challenges for survivors and those in treatment. One very important topic was discussed: Influenza.

All physicians counseled that patients follow their treating physicians's guidance on flu vaccines and abide by requirements in study protocols, but their overwhelming recommendation was all lung cancer survivors, even those in immunotherapy treatment, obtain a flu shot this season. Here are frequently asked questions (FAQ) from the US CDC on the 2020 flu season including recommendations on various types of vaccines and timing. 

The significant take aways from this session. Lung cancer survivors are a high mortality risk category for COVID and flu. The best defense against infection is to avoid interactions with people as much as possible, wear a mask when indoors in public spaces, practice social distancing, hand washing and sanitation, and get a flu shot this season.

One doctor said: "the best defense is to avoid infection."

Stay the course.

Tom

Thank you Tom: I was thinking about the flu shot because I always took one. This year though I was hesitant to go to Costco due to   COVID-19.  It looks like I have no choice. It would have been nice  cancer centers gave it instead.

The conference was very informative. Will be getting my senior flu shot at Walgreens, as soon as I can make an appointment. They have Covid precautions in place this year. P.S. Just scheduled it online for tomorrow. Easy process! 

I agree, it was a great session! They also stressed that it's best to get it early this year, given the situation with Covid, and that it is usually effective for about 6 months. We actually went out and got ours this morning. It was my first time in a supermarket since March, and all protocols were being followed, even to the extent of having one-way traffic in aisles.

GaryG - if you are currently receiving cancer treatment, your doc may give you the flu shot at your next appointment - just ask.  My mom mentioned that she hadn't gotten her's yet (this was a few years ago) and they gave it to her while she was receiving her immunotherapy drip.  So, don't be afraid to ask, especially if you want to avoid Costco...our local Costco is always such a madhouse! 

Archived