Hiccups

Lalo

Asking for my friend. Are hiccups a sign that lungs are healing or is it a sign that something bad is developing. #22 on Imfinzi and finished CRT about one year ago for stage 3b squamous cell NSCLC.  Hiccups daily for middle of crt treatment then they went away.  Now they are back nightly.  Any info is appreciated.  Thankyou.

Great question, but not one that I can answer.  I can tell you that I have never heard of anyone say that hiccups were a serious event in lung cancer.    I suggest your friend talk to his Oncology team.   I know many who have had immunotherapy treament including myself and I never had any hiccups.  

I did a quick search and found two articles that seem to sound like it can happen and most likely is treatment related -- but again, I'm not a medical professional and I really think this is a question his doctors can best source and they know his case and treatment best.

"Hiccups can be caused by irritation of the nerve that controls the diaphragm which can happen for different reasons, such as: Certain chemotherapy drugs used to treat cancer. Other drugs that may or may not be taken for cancer-related problems, including steroids, anti-nausea medicines, and antibiotics.  (Feb 1, 2020)

"If you're fighting lung cancer or mesothelioma and experience consistent hiccups, you might just think it's a coincidence. It's not. Hiccups are commonly associated with cancer and chemotherapy treatment. Hiccups caused by cancer and chemotherapy can range from occasional and light to relentless and incessant" (May 14, 2012)

Archived