I never expected this news

Tbaker

That appointment didnt go as planned. I'm resistant to chemo. Doctor said I'm more than likely resistant to all chemo. He did say he will try different one but he only gives it a 30% chance of working. He then also said he would get me into a trial. 
I'm pretty numb with this news.

While the news is not ideal, the doctor's did not slam  the door shut all the way. 30% chance is still a chance and I won't loose hope till I see few more chemos fail. Cancer treatment is about  trial and error to begin with. Please don't loose hope. More doors will open up.

I'm not going to give up the fight,30% is 30%. My doctor did say if this doesn't pan out then he will get me into a trial program. What concerns me is getting a  placebo. 

I’m sure you’re head is reeling right now,  can you get another opinion from one of the major cancer centers?   

Remember the numbers don’t apply to the individual and attitude counts: Median Isn’t the Message    

https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/article/median-isnt-message/2013-01

Tbaker,

Right! Thirty percent is 30% and that is a long way from 0%.

Do check out Michelle's link to Stephen Jay Gould's essay: "The Median Isn't The Message." And, read this.

I've found it helpful in my life to ignore the past, declare the future irrelevant, and live in the day. When I see an expiration date on my forehead, I'll have mortality concern. Till then, I'lll....

Stay the course.

Tom

I'm so sorry, T. I'd be upset by that news, too. 

But the others here are giving you excellent feedback. Go ahead and cry, then pull yourself together and plan to find the Next Right Thing. I'm betting it's out there.

Sending a hug...

That would be a real jolt! So sorry you had that news, but sounds like there are other options.  Have you considered another opinion? I know you said you liked and trusted your oncologist, but sometimes it’s a good idea to find out if there are ideas he/she hasn’t considered when things aren’t going as planned.  

I know it’s hard, but try to focus on the positive - there’s at least a 30% chance a new drug WILL work, and there may well be something even better out there for you.  

Sending positive energy your way!!

On 8/27/2020 at 6:16 PM, Sabacat said:

That would be a real jolt! So sorry you had that news, but sounds like there are other options.  Have you considered another opinion? I know you said you liked and trusted your oncologist, but sometimes it’s a good idea to find out if there are ideas he/she hasn’t considered when things aren’t going as planned.  

I know it’s hard, but try to focus on the positive - there’s at least a 30% chance a new drug WILL work, and there may well be something even better out there for you.  

Sending positive energy your way!!

30% is better than nothing. Our nephew and his wife a graduates of U of M medical school. The kids are arranging for me to see a doctor there for a second option. I'm just waiting to hear from the u of m.  

I will not give up.

Archived