Surgery on Monday

Sheryl E

Hi everyone, just an update.  I have sclc and it freaks me out to say that because everyone on here has nsclc and I know sclc is really deadly.  My tumor is 10 mm or 1 cm, Bronchoscopy done and no lymph node involvement.  MRI of brain was clear.  Having robotic lobectomy? On Monday.  I guess I don’t know what else to say.  Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth it since this type of cancer is so bad.  Is it worth going through all of this?  Chemo and radiation will be next.  Thanks for listening and being here you guys.  

Sheryl,

You have limited stage SCLC and a single small tumor. Surgery is our best method of dealing with an early detection. Post surgical chemo will help police recurrence. 

I well understand your concerns. All lung cancer has a recurrence risk and SCLC especially is noted for it. Last Saturday, I was paired with a lady at our ILCSC with 6 years of progression free SCLC survival after the same treatments you are having. 

I do hope your surgery goes well. Let us know the results.

Stay the course.

Tom

Tom, 

You always speak the truth, and your words always give me hope and comfort.  I run around on these boards just looking for your comments, whether they apply to my type of cancer or not.  Thank you for being here.  You just have no idea how much it helps me.  

Sheryl,

In my opinion, it’s definitely worth it!  Look at the positives.  #1, no lymph node involvement.  #2, clear brain MRI. #3, 1 cm and can have surgery.   I know it’s hard, SO hard, but focus on the positives!  Good luck on Thursday.  You’ll have a lot of people thinking of you,

Babs

Sheryl  our case has a lot of positives and good reasons to be hopeful It is hard but we don't have a choice.

I will be thinking and praying.

59 minutes ago, Babs said:

Sheryl,

In my opinion, it’s definitely worth it!  Look at the positives.  #1, no lymph node involvement.  #2, clear brain MRI. #3, 1 cm and can have surgery.   I know it’s hard, SO hard, but focus on the positives!  Good luck on Thursday.  You’ll have a lot of people thinking of you,

Babs

I meant good luck on Monday!  Haha. I’ll think of you on Thursday too, it can’t hurt, right?  Please update us when you can.  

Babs

Absolutely NOBODY wants to deal with small cell lung cancer, but if one has to have it, they'd be hard put to be in a better position than you are. That surgery is gonna remove the bulk of the cancer, and you'll have followup treatment to attack any stray cells floating around. 

Will be rooting for you!!

Thank you Lexiecat, I feel blessed everyday that we did catch this early.  This was so shocking to me and I want to stay so positive but I don’t know why it’s so darn hard!! Some days I’m good, some I’m bad.  It seems when I go online to look, it puts me in a bad or sad mood.  I’m not a moody person, this is all so weird.

Sheryl,

Good luck with surgery on Monday, will keep you in my thoughts, good thoughts for a speedy recovery with no complications. Someone told me about their experience with Robotic surgery and it sounded much easier than a lobectomy done the old way. They were up and around in 10 days and feeling good. Also if you get a chance at the Longevity Virtual conference, there was a speaker Dr Christine Lovely at MD Anderson who only works on research for SCLC and she spoke about some very promising drugs finally starting to come through for SCLC. You might be able to view that tape, ask one of the moderators if that's possible!

Thinking and praying for you,  Eileen

Hi Sheryl,

I just had a robotic lobectomy in Feb.  My experience was good and my recovery was smooth.  It sounds like your situation is the best case scenario, if there is such a thing with lung cancer!  

Good luck Monday!  Prayers for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery!

sending you prayers and love, Sheryl! hope everything goes/went well today (not sure what time you were scheduled). everyone on this board will have your back and support you. i've only been here a little over a week and i have already seen that in action! 💗

Hi Fox, surgery went well.  I’m very sore and only have had one pain pill.  It was only half of what was ordered.  I do not want to use OxyContin.  I’m walking without assistance too.  It really hurts to take a breath, I feel like I have been beat up.  Surgeon had said I had some granuloma which were very small that he took out of my lower lung and he will biopsy those.  They did not light up in pet scan but I guess you never know.  Seems so weird that part of my lung is gone.  It’s taking me a minute to process this.  Radiation oncology appointment is on Friday.  Thank you for checking in.  

Great news, Sheryl! Yeah, you'll be a bit sore for a while. And probably coughing a lot--they want you to do that, to clear the lungs. But I had very sore abs from coughing, the first week or so. Be sure to do your breathing exercises--they will help you get back to normal faster. Also, when you feel up to it, try to do some walking. That helped me a lot, too.

And get lots of rest in between. But it sounds like you came through it like a champ!

Sheryl,

I think it's amazing that you could even write an update this soon... That, to me, is encouraging in and of itself!  I still think it's weird that part of my lung is gone (2 yrs since lobectomy)! I think the positive points that Babs pointed out pre-surgery are good to hang onto. Keeping you in my thoughts and hope you continue to do well each day. 

Sheryl,

So glad everything went well!  I never had surgery so can’t lend any experience there.  Just keep doing what they tell you and makes you feel better and encouraged.  

Babs

Thanks Babs, I’m walking and trying to do stuff on my own.  I want OUT!! Lol, I hate hospitals!! But they are so nice here.  I’m getting by with 1,000 mg Tylenol so that’s good.  Thank you for your encouragement, it is greatly appreciated!!

sheryl

Wow!  Good for you.  Sounds like you’re doing great.  I think most of us hate hospitals.  I was in the hospital for 4 days when I was first diagnosed and they were running a bunch of tests.  On the 1st day that I felt better, before I knew I had LC, I couldn’t believe I could order off a menu and they would bring it to my room??  The joy of that was short lived.  I guess what I’m saying is, enjoy what you can while you can. LOL

Do you know what you’re follow up plan is?

Hi Sheryl,  I'm glad to hear your surgery went well. Being up and around walking is great and will help your recovery. It's also important to recovery to bIIreathe deeply and expand your lungs.  I understand you don't want to take pain pills, but if it hurts to breathe you'll be hesitant to expand your lungs fully. If the Tylenol is enough, great. If not, I hope you consider taking something stronger. 

Best wishes and I hope you get to go home soon.

Bridget O

Archived