Praying for a miracle

Olivia

Hi all,

My dad fell on Sunday afternoon...my fiancé and I had went over and he had to completely pick my dad up off the ground because he had no strength in his legs. Looking at his meds for the day, he hadn’t taken any of them. The next morning, he was supposed to go in for a follow up appointment with his onc, but we couldn’t get him up and into the car. She advised we bring him in to the ER right away. 

They ruled out stroke and evidence of any blood clots. Last night he had trouble breathing so that had to put him on a very high dose of oxygen. This morning, they did a chest CT which revealed a suspicious spot on his lower right lobe, which they believe is pneumonia. 

Dad can hardly stay awake, he’s been sleeping all day..with the exception of a conversation with someone from palliative care. He was even able to crack some jokes. 

Absolute best case scenario, he overcomes the pneumonia and regains some strength if any. I’m guessing they will do an MRI in the near future to see if the mets have grown/multiplied. Even in best case scenario he will need some kind of assisted living (he currently lives alone). even with best case scenario, the cancer will at some point progress. IF (big “if”) he is well enough, they can attempt a second line treatment. Doc is not at all optimistic about his second line treatment options. 

Long story short, his battle might be coming to an end. This will leave me and my sister without any parents at the age of 26 and 24. We are terrified but praying for a miracle and some more time. Please keep my dad in your prayers, as we truly just want him to be comfortable and surrounded with love. As my fiancé said, “the good thing about all this is that he will get to be with your mom again...and Brownie (our late family dog, who was my dads best buddy).” That truly does give me some peace, but I am still devastated that we could be facing the end. Thank you all for your support over the last few months that I’ve been posting on here...I’ve really held on to hope that he could be in the survivors club. I pray for anyone fighting this disease. 

Hi Olivia,

I'm sorry to hear about your dad's setback. I'm glad to hear he's being seen by palliative care. They should be able to help him be comfortable and have the best possible quality of life, whether he regains strength, overcomes pneumonia and is able to have treatment when needed, or not.   Of course you are devastated that he may be near the end. However long he has, I hope you can both have peace and comfort in being together.  Be sure to take care of yourself, too.

Bridget O

Hi Olivia: Sorry to hear about your dad's  situation. I was hospitalized with pneumonia for 6 days . The doctors were able to knock it down with antibiotics. It is normal to feel tired and sleepy from pneumonia so give the medication time and the outcome might surprise you. Mine also started because of cancer in my lung and as the doctor told me cancer can cause pneumonia. I hope the tests will result in a good course of action and put your dad on the way to recovery. Stay positive.

Olivia, so very sorry to hear about this setback.  I know it looks scary, but things can turn around if this was caused by pneumonia.  Don't give up yet!   If not, you've done the right thing to involve palliative care.  Nice to hear that he's still cracking jokes.  And he is, clearly, surrounded by love no matter what the outcome.

Hugs to you - will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers,
Susan  

Olivia, I too am sorry to hear about your dad.  It sounds like you and your sibling have been through a lot in your young lives.  I hope that you are able to make some new memories with your father during the time you have left with him; whether that be weeks, months, or years.  As a daughter of a lung cancer warrior, my heart goes out to you and your sibling.  You and your family are in my thoughts.

Take Care,

Steff

I just wanted to update everyone and let you know that my dad passed Thursday evening at 7:16pm. The moment he passed was so beautiful and peaceful, I can’t even put it into words. I attached a picture of the sunset outside his window the moment he left this world. He’s now with mom, but selfishly I want him here and I’m lost and devastated. I can’t even believe this is real. Thank you all for what you’ve done for me over the past few months I’ve been on this board. 

5FC5A3AA-8DB9-4E41-9658-2B1B1DD53BFE.jpeg

Oh, Olivia, I'm so sorry. I'm so glad, though, that you were able to be there with him to ease his journey, and that his passing was peaceful.

I lost my mom to breast cancer when I was 31 and I miss her to this day. But I also have tons of happy memories--I even dream sometimes about the huge kerfuffles we used to get into in the fabric store when I was a kid. She was an awesome seamstress and made all my clothes but we sometimes disagreed about which fabrics would work with which pattern and we'd get into these fights. LOL, nobody stayed mad for long, but when I have those dreams now, it makes me smile--like I had a visit with her.

As sad as you are right now (and take your time mourning your loss), you will eventually find yourself smiling at happy memories, too. 

Sending a hug...

Olivia,

I am vastly sorry about the loss of your father. I do however want to thank you from our lung cancer survivor community for all the love and attention you provided as your father struggled with treatment, side effects and complications.

Family caregiving under any circumstance is a tough job. Given lung cancer, the tough job is near impossible. l will pray for your family's peace.

Stay the course.

Tom

Olivia, I'm so sorry abut your dear father.  I'm glad his passing was peaceful and that you  could be with him. Your beautiful photo taken at the moment of his death can be a precious reminder of his life. Feel free to stay on this forum for support as you deal with your loss.

Bridget

Olivia, I am so very sorry to hear about your loss.  It sounds as if your Dad's passing was as peaceful as possible, and your photo of that moment is lovely.  He was, indeed, surrounded by love.  Hugs, Susan 

Olivia,

Losing a parent is always so tough.  They were there when we first came into being and were a permanent part of our world.  My heart breaks for you and you and your sister will be in my prayers.

Lou

Archived