A question on lung surgery

Sheryl E

So I had the top part of my left lung removed on Monday.  It was done robotically.  But I had a chest tube too.  They have a big bandage over that, I can’t remove it until Saturday.  It’s starting to “ itch” or something, it’s driving me nuts.  Maybe the feeling is coming back?  I don’t know, anyone know about this?  

No, this doesn’t feel normal.  My daughter thinks nerve block is wearing off and I’m having pain or nerve pain?  I can’t itch it because it’s covered.  Ugh, not sure what to do as I don’t want to take the pain pills.  

Yeah, I think it’s what’s happening.  Actually took Tylenol and it helped a lot.  I can’t wait to get this bandage off.  Thank you Lexiecat.  

If they used Steri-Strips, you may be allergic to the adhesive. After my port placement, I developed itchy blisters due to the contact dermatitis. Couldn't wait until the strips could be removed. Some Claritin or Benadryl might help if you're allowed to take it. Hope you feel better soon, I know what that feels like. 

Judy, yeah it could be that.  I’m still all taped, but I can take it off tomorrow!! Can’t wait.  After taking Tylenol it got better.  It’s been okay today too.  So weird, but maybe an allergic reaction, not sure.  I’m a little wheezy today.  Trying to take deep breaths and do my little machine thing to blow the ball up every hour.  I do it 12 times per hour.

Lou,

It was so much better.  I am still numb in that area but getting better everyday.  Going to see Oncologist next Friday.  Do you know if they always do chemo if they have taken the cancer out? I feel like it would be good to do, just in case, but I so dread chemo.  I was stage 1 smlc, nothing else found.  Thanks for any info on this. 

Sheryl,

I'm glad to hear it.  Losing a chest tube seems to be a great step for all of us.  I had my surgery on May 4th 2019 and still have some numbness on my right side.  I'll admit that it is greatly diminished and it never really bothers me as it did in the beginning.  Regarding chemo; in my case they felt that the nodule/tumor was small and they had excellent margins when they removed my lower-right lobe.  In addition, all my lymph nodes were clear locally and regionally so I did not require chemotherapy.  I was classified as Stage 1a.  Your Oncologist should be able to talk to you about that during your meeting.  Fingers crossed for you though.

Lou

Yes, I am limited but RO said stage 1. They removed my left upper lobe.  No cancer otherwise found.  None in lymph nodes and margins were clear.   Thank God!  So happy to hear about your story.  Gives me hope.  My right side will sting, is very sore and numb. Still very bruised, but it’s been 11 days so maybe it takes a while.  So you are also feeling numbness?  Good to know it’s not just me.  I’m pretty sure I will need chemo because it was sclc, and possibly brain radiation.  RO said he wasn’t sure yet because it’s so rare to find early stage sclc.  Thank you Lou, I appreciate your information as I am so new to this.  So glad you are doing well.  Take care

Sheryl,

Things sound good for you and your Oncologist will make the final call.  After my surgery the sting and numbness was relieved after the doctor ordered Gabapentin for me.  That along with and Advil/Tylenol combo really took care of the discomfort when it was at its strongest.  Perhaps you can speak to your doctor and he can decide if that would be right for you.   I look forward to hearing updates as you move ahead and have all fingers and toes crossed for you.

Lou

Lou, 

Yes, I will be sure to update!  This is such a scary disease and I’m always feeling so unsure, scared and anxious.  I really appreciate all the help on here.  Thanks again Lou. 

Sheryl

Archived