Flue shot

GaryG

Yes, good plan. I've already had mine. I also had my 2nd pneumonia shot last year just before I started treatments. 

The flu shot is not a live virus, so it should not complicate your treatment. 

Good luck! 

4 hours ago, Judy M2 said:

The flu shot is not a live virus, so it should not complicate your treatment. 

That was my concern. I read some where that one needs to wait 2 weeks after infusion before taking the flu shot.

Thanks to all

This is the question I was going to ask. Also, I was wondering about taking the PPSV23 pneumonia vaccine (second after the PCV13) which I am past due for. I am a week and a half away from my 8th Keytruda infusion.

I have always waited until late October for the flu shot to be sure and get through the height of the typical season. I skipped year five because of a study I read about that found some pretty convincing evidence that five vaccines in a row was linked to an increase in senile dementia.

I just found a link that says that these vaccines(pneumonia and influenza) may actually reduce the chances.... https://www.alz.org/aaic/releases_2020/vaccines-dementia-risk.asp

Jack- you’re really good at the research!   I hadn’t really thought about dementia, it’s a problem ironically I would happily entertain ( My LC was diagnosed at 51). 
Ask both your PCP and Oncologist about the timing and sequence with Keytruda.  

My parents started getting flu vaccines each year when they were in their late sixties. Dad is just turned 79, Mom is 77.  So far so good.  Neither one of them has gotten the flu or had any issues. 

Yes I will do that Michelle. Thankyou, I have sure had a "LOT" of practice rsearching medical matters. Thirty years in the healthcare profession as a practioner and educator. And after retiring, suffering a heart attack, heart bypass surgery, kidney stones, a juxtarenal abdominal aneurysm with open repair, a retinal detachment with several eye surgeries, and now this crap....

I am humbled Michelle and Gary. Truth is, I have received many many more blessings than I deserve over the sixty nine years I have been blessed with. Only in the last decade have I began falling apart lol. I feel like an old humpty dumpty, albeit a mighty grateful one.

I’m actually worried about getting the flu shot this year. I had a reaction last year while on Imfinzi. 24 hours of feeling like I had the flu and it scared the heck out of me. Doc said it was because of my suppressed immune system and the Imfinzi treatment. I’m waiting until the end of September. 

My wife got the high dose flu shot on Thursday. Her primary and also my primary told me to wait until mid October to get mine since I didn't have a compromised immune system. We also practice self isolation pretty well so my doctor was okay with me waiting till later.

Steve

I asked my Oncology PA  about my taking this years flu vaccine, the pneumo23 vaccine, and the shingles vac. Yes, to all but shingles. She also said they only give the standard flu vac because they don't believe there is any benefit in the larger dose for their patients. I told her I would wait till next month and she said that is when they would have given it to me anyway. I plan on getting it at my PCP's as I usually do.

Archived