As if this week weren't complicated enough...

LexieCat

I fell off my bed onto my back--HARD around 5 am this morning. I'd had leg cramps all night, kept getting up and walking around to try to calm them down. I was sitting on top of my bed, rubbing my feet/legs and somehow toppled backward off the (rather high) bed onto the floor. Hit head on carpet hard, sprained left wrist and thought I broke my collarbone--it was sore/swollen, I could hear clicking and could barely move my right arm. Good thing my daughter was here to take me to ER--no way I could have driven. 

Got CT of head, X-rays of wrist and clavicle. Doctor didn't think anything was broken--she thought it looked like I had an old healed fracture of clavicle (can't imagine that ever happened). She gave me a sling and told me radiologist would call later if they found a fracture. I can still barely use either arm--impossible to open childproof pill bottle or lift anything more than a couple of pounds. 

BTW, my Apple Watch fall detection did work this time. I was conscious and had help so I dismissed the call to 911, but still, good to know it worked. 

Guess I'll find out tomorrow if this interferes with the procedure to place my port.

Wow! How freakish! So glad you had help. I get cramps in my legs too, it can be debilitating... but not like this! Feel better fast - Hope your port placement is still a go!

Wow, what a strange accident! It was good that your daughter was there! i hope your recovery is fast and that this doesn't interfere with your port placement.  I didn't know that Apple watches had a fall detection feature. I'll have to check that out. I do worry about falls, especially since my wife is often out of town on business (but she's been home since the pandemic started.). Last year while she was gone, I was sick (pretty sure it was norovirus), got dehydrated and weak, fell getting out of bed and clonked my head on the nightstand. Not as hard as is sounds like you hit yours, thank goodness. No injury, but it scared the snot out of me! 

Let us know how you're doing!  I'll be thinking of you.

Bridget O

Ow, how awful!!!  My 90-year-old Mom gets leg cramps that no one can figure out the cause of -- very frustrsting and dangerous!)  Hope you're feeling better by now!

Feeling quite a bit better by late afternoon. I had my daughter drive me to my pre-op appointment this morning (wasn't sure I could handle driving) but by tonight I was able to drive to vet to drop off a specimen for my cat. Still pretty sore but less agonizing and strength in hands/arms slowly returning. I've taken off the sling for now & keeping the wrist brace on.

It was nice to see my surgeon (who did my lobectomy three years ago) after all this time. He was SO sorry about what's happened--and I could tell by his eyes he really meant it. I remembered his physician's assistant, too--she's terrific. Before the doctor came in I was telling her about my decision to switch oncologists and be treated at Penn, and she jumped right in and said, "You do whatever's best for YOU. And I'd tell my mom or sister the same thing." Which, of course, I knew, but it was nice to get the validation.

So the port will be placed first thing tomorrow (I should be home by 11 or so), and then Friday I have a CT at Penn, Tues an appointment with new oncologist, and I'm told I should have my first infusion next week. So things have fallen into place nicely (except for me, of course--I fell OUT of place and not at ALL nicely).

Port placed today--I'm sore, but they put it on the same side that's already sore, so at least I have one good side (though left wrist still stiff/sore, too). Surgeon said it would be usable tomorrow, if needed. But my first infusion has now been scheduled for Tues. I'll see the oncologist first, and this Friday go for a CT scan.

My surgeon told me to let him know how I'm doing as treatment moves forward, "You have my cell number." I said yeah, but I hate to bother you with a phone call. He said, then send me a text--I really want to hear how you're doing.

See why I love him? 

Oh boy, sorry that you went through this but glad you weren't seriously injured. Good thing you were able to get your port placed as scheduled. 

Your surgeon sounds like a gem! You should stay in touch with him. 

For leg cramps, try drinking tonic (quinine) water. I'd probably omit the gin. 😉

Best of luck with the new treatments. 

It’s a weird thought, but I’m beginning to think you fell so the interventionist would be super extra careful with the port placement???  I also suspect your surgeon’s    PA wasn’t a fan of your former oncologist- word travels in those circles.  

Even though you’re not a native Jersey Gal here’s a well wishes send off for treatment: we’re withya sista! 

Lexie,

Sorry to hear about the fall, that sounds horrible.  Glad that they are getting things ready for your treatment to begin.  Also, it sounds like your doctor has earned your admiration.  You'll be in my prayers.

Lou

Wow Lexie, you have had quite the week!!!  Glad you're feeling better.  

It sounds like you have assembled a remarkable team of doctors to handle your treatment.  

Wishing you the best as you get started next week!

I'm trying to catch up on all of your posts... My goodness; you certainly have had A LOT happening since I was last able to check in!  After all of the appointments and accident (ouch!!!) it is good to know that things are lining up - and you really do sound like you are in the best hands possible. I am so glad you have - and feel you have - the best medical support possible. Kudos to your daughter as well for being there to help you :-)

I am sorry I don't / can't keep up as much as I'd like to on this forum...(dealing with a lot of stressful issues w/ my son right now...) I really do care about what you are experiencing. You have learned so much and share that with all of us. Really hope all goes well on Tuesday. You ARE a fighter.  Your posts illuminate that. Will be thinking of you and I look forward to reading of your progress (and success!).

Archived