Virtual Lobby for Medical Research Hill Day September 17, 2020

Rower Michelle

Hi Everyone!   

I participate on a couple of Boards for Kansas University Cancer Center.  They are participating in the Medical Research Hill Day and have asked that I send the attached Tool Kit for the lung cancer community to lobby Congress for continued NIH funding.     The tool kit is pretty self explanatory and contains all the registration information and sample communications that can be customized for lung cancer research!    

What is the Rally for Medical Research Hill Day and who is participating?

The 8th annual Rally for Medical Research Hill Day will be held on Thursday, September 17, 2020 as an entirely virtual event. Approximately 350 national organizations and institutions are supporting this event and will have advocates participating in virtual meetings with congressional offices and/or engaging in grassroots activities.  The virtual Hill Day event will unite advocates from across the country and across the medical research advocacy community to urge Congress to continue to make funding for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) a national priority and to thank Members of Congress for their extraordinary support for the NIH over the last five years. This effort will raise awareness about the critical need for robust, sustained, and predictable funding increases for the NIH in Fiscal Year (FY) 2021 and beyond to improve health, spur more progress, inspire more hope and save more lives. 

What is the goal of the event?

The goal of the Rally for Medical Research Hill Day is to speak with a unified voice to House and Senate offices on Capitol Hill about the importance of investing in the NIH to improve the health and economic security of our nation.

Schedule:
Wednesday, September 16
Virtual Reception to Celebrate Cancer Research
5:30-6:30 pm. ET

Thursday, September 17
Rally for Medical Research Virtual Hill Day
9:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. ET

2020 Rally for Medical Research Grassroots Toolkit.docx

I was under the impression that NIH  is a   Government agency financed under a yearly budget like any other Government agency.  The funds from the budget pay for research and development as well as salaries and compensations.   Are they financially in trouble?

Thank you for post Michelle. I will do my part.

Hi Gary 

I haven't heard that NIH is in any trouble, however, lung cancer is severely under funded in comparison to breast and prostate cancers. Check out this article from Forbes, 

https://fortune.com/2017/12/11/lung-cancer-research-smoking-colorectal-breast/

The years of 2016-2017 saw the greatest increase in lung cancer survivorship due to the scientific advances during the last ten years.  With more survivors, we can work collectively to help raise additional funding for research.   

The only way to advance our cause collectively is to be persistent in reaching out to our legislators to ask for additional funding by sharing our stories.   

Let's do this! 

Archived