Need advice on my Mom

Guest hhamadyk

Guest hhamadyk

Well, the doctor confirmed that the cancer is back in my mother's liver and that she will have to start a new course of chemo treatment. She visits the doctor today to get the specifics on her new treatment. However, I went to see her yesterday and I can't help but notice that she seems much worse in just one week. Like she seems much thinner to me and very, very disoriented. She slept most of the day until we went out to dinner. She had big rootbeer float :) the ice cream helps to settle her stomach. Just wondering if anybody could shed some light on why she might be disoriented? I know she is thinner because she hasn't been eating well lately. Her stomach has been very queasy. But I don't know if her seemingly disoriented state is because she is so overly concerned about the cancer in her liver or because its a side effect of her chemo? She hasn't had any radiation, only chemo, and her latest test results only showed the cancer to be back in her liver- no evidence in brain or bones. Has anybody else had anything similar happen to them?

Guest hhamadyk

Actually, she was very dehydrated last week, so the doctor sent her to the hospital to have fluids given to her intravenously. That's a very good possibility as to why she was so disoriented. Thank you!

Hi,

My dad also had liver mets, and he too got quite disoriented and confused. It really could be something as simple as dehydration, but you should find out how much of the liver is involved. We were told that if the liver is not working properly, the blood is not cleaned of toxins - I think this is what caused my dad's disorientation. My advice is to get as much info about this as quickly as you can - sclc can move very rapidly, and you want to stay on top of it. The sooner your mom can start the next chemo the better.

Best,

a.

I was on a clinical trial of thalidomide. The thalidomide was a sedative that would cause confusion. Drug side effects, I have found, are things I have to look up on the internet because as good as my doctors are they don't always know I think of all of the side effects of drugs. If your mom has been doing a lot of chemo, it could a side effect of the drugs.

Guest jonathan

You may want to ask about whichever of the follwing drugs your mom has not had to combat her cancer...

cisplatin/etoposide

cpt-11

taxol

gemzar

cytoxin with adriamycin and vincristine

good luck

Jonathan