Tagrisso and Pleural Effusion

JoWell

Hi everyone:

My mom was stage IV adenocarcinoma with MPE (pleural effusion).  Yesterday we learned that she is EGFR positive, she began taking 80mg Tagrisso yesterday.  In terms of symptoms, she has shortness of breaths, light dry coughs, and she has 3 enlarged lymph nodes.  I was told that the drug will start to show results after two weeks.  I hope to find out from you if Tagrisso really will help with MPE?  The doctor said it should but I can't find much info yet online and from this forum.  Would love to get some info from you.  Thanks much!

Josephine

• 2 months later...

@JoWell, I missed your post until just now 🤔. I also had pleural effusion but it has been resolved after several months. I don't know whether it was due to chemo, radiation, Tagrisso or all 3. And my nodules and lymph nodes weren't even reported on my most recent PET scan. 

How has your mom responded to Tagrisso? 

Hi Judy @Judy M2:

Thank you for answering my question :)  Have to admit that I felt lonely here for a while.  My mom's lung responded well to Tagrisso, but the lymph nodes on her neck are still showing high SUV.  She had a biopsy done this morning, we're waiting for results.  What could be the cause?  Have you heard similar situations?  I'm so glad that your recent PET scan showed success!  I wish you many many many more clean scans!

JoWell

• 1 month later...

@JoWell, many thanks. If her lymph nodes are being resistant, your mom's doctors may prescribe some radiation to get them under control. I've recently learned about the Facebook group Tagrisso (osimertinib) Patients and Caregivers Group, where others have posted about their experiences. You might find some answers there. Good luck to your mom. 

Archived